Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bar keepers friend ruined the finish of my quartz counter

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:57 am
So it seems Barkeepers Friend, which came recommended by the store where I purchased this countertop,has now ruined the finish of my countertop. I have a white quartz countertop and I'm the spots where we used BKF, I see what looks like a bleach stain. Any way to remedy this or am I stuck with it?
I will call the store but am wondering if anyone has expert advice.

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:48 am
Try posting on Houzz.com forum as people there are extremely knowledgable in terms of dealing with all kinds of issues.

I have read numerous threads in which specific advice was given regarding damage to counters - quartz; marble, granite.

I am surprised the store recommended BF frankly though. I just finished a remodel and I got cleaning stuff specifically recommended for my counters. I purged anything that could be potentially be misused. Abrasive and bleaching products are specifically NOT recommended for quartz.

If the store recommended BF and it caused damage, I would firmly ask them to solve the problem.

In the future stock your home with products specifically meant for quartz. I don't have any products that could damage anything. I even got special toilet bowl cleaner that was safe for any surface. I got rid of Windex as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=U.....mw1_e

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:57 am
Oh gosh! It's definitely not used on stone, only porcelain (and enamel and metals). Sad

kb

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 4:01 pm
OP, if you see this, please let me know what happened.

I called my counter store to complain that my counters are staining way too much and they told me to use barkeepers friend. I'm afraid to use it because of this thread, but they basically left off that I should call back after I try it.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 4:07 pm
Same. Since then I only use soap and warm water

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 4:07 pm
You need to test on a sample, either one you saved when they made your counters or a new one — same color from the same manufacturer.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 5:04 pm
I use it for stains- people on this site actually recommended it after I had rust stains( post Pesach coverings). It works well and it didn’t leave any stains bh. I use it from time to time. No issues!

justmarried:)

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 5:14 pm
I use it also on my counters with no issues

kb

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 7:36 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You need to test on a sample, either one you saved when they made your counters or a new one — same color from the same manufacturer.

They kept all the extra.

Maybe I'll ask them if they can give me one. I keep seeing mixed reviews about it, and as much as I find the stains annoying, I really don't want to ruin the counter. (And I wonder what they'd do if it did...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry