Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to keep up a clean house

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 9:03 pm
I grew up on a messy dirty house where chores where not done on a regular basis. I happen to be a good though cleaner and I know how to organize when I clean and put everything away my house looks really nice. It takes just a few hours for me to put my house back but....
I don't have cleaning help now
I work in my house with kids
I have a house full of my own kids
I just am not good with putting things away later on, things get taken out and not put back. I get all my laundry put away but then have a few clean loads not put away. I get tired and don't fully clean one night and then things build up I wish I knew a way to keep things clean and tidy on a daily basis.
My kids bh help but also tend to put the laundry floor at night ,not put dishes in the sink and so on . I just wish there would be a way to keep it up without getting overwhelmed at once. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 9:11 pm
You need systems , and you need to complete each task before going on to something else. DH will not stop doing something if he is interrupted. If he doing the wash or the dishes, the interruption waits until he is finished. He makes the clean house a priority. He taught me to finish what I start.

Make the kids come back and redo when they leave laundry on the floor or don't put dishes away. They hate redoing and will do it right the first time.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 9:14 pm
There are really only two ways to stay on top of things yourself:
1. Clean up/ put away immediately, so nothing is ever sitting and waiting
2. Dedicate enough time every single evening to straightening up and cleaning

If neither of those work for you, you'll probably have to figure out a middle ground where the house will not be completely organized and clean daily.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 9:29 pm
Google flylady and sign up for her email. Will give you a good outline.

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:38 am
I also recommend flylady as a great way to set up a system that would be ideal for you. You are motivated but just can't figure out how to systematize the process.

I think her system is especially helpful since you work from home and can incorporate her system into normal breaks. She really believes in breaking larger stuff into 15 minute chunks because "you can do anything for 15 minutes". She also says the most important thing is to make your bed and clean your sink because if you perform those two things, it is more likely that everything else will fall into place.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:48 am
For me, I have certain things that unnerve me and those are my must do's before bed.

1) Usually a clean kitchen since I dont have a ton of time to wash dishes before making breakfast and leaving to work and when I come home to make dinner I dont want to waste time washing a pot etc.

2) Laundry. I hate having clothes laying around. We have a laundry chute which keeps the dirty clothes off the main floor. I do a pass through each room before bed time and throw anything dirty down the chute. Once the laundry is washed I try to fold it within the day and have it put away.

I feel like picking my priorities and letting the other stuff go helps me feel less overwhelmed. If I can get around to cleaning the toys great but to me it does not make me annoyed so I leave it be.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:58 pm
1) Personally I think most people wash clothing far more often than necessary. Everyone puts everything they wore in the hamper that day whether it smells/has stains or not. Using more discretion will save money: clothes don't wear out as quickly and less wear and tear on your washing machine, and time-doing the laundry and shopping for more clothes.

2) no wearing of outdoor shoes in the house keeps it a lot cleaner. No eating of food outside the kitchen and dining room keeps it a lot cleaner and saves lots of time when it comes to preparing for Pesach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry