Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why is my first grade son acting out?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:05 am
Trying to brainstorm...

He’s by nature always been a calm, gentle child. And lately he’s been acting out in class quite often.

Yes, we can make charts. But he’s obviously giving it out in class for a reason.

He’s pretty open with us so if there were a bullying issue I think I’d know. Academically he’s doing ok.

What other factors do I consider?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:15 am
My dd had trouble adjusting to first grade. She was the youngest in the grade, and while fine socially and academically she found the transition very hard. Less free/ play time, having to sit for so long etc.

Maybe he's finding the expectations just a little too much.

(Incidentally, we didn't really pay too much attention because she was succeeding academically and socially, but we wish we had been a little bit more aware of her struggles so we could have supported her better. She continued to play catch up in this area for several years.)

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
My dd had trouble adjusting to first grade. She was the youngest in the grade, and while fine socially and academically she found the transition very hard. Less free/ play time, having to sit for so long etc.

Maybe he's finding the expectations just a little too much.

(Incidentally, we didn't really pay too much attention because she was succeeding academically and socially, but we wish we had been a little bit more aware of her struggles so we could have supported her better. She continued to play catch up in this area for several years.)

If that may be the case, what can we do?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:41 am
You need to find out what your son is doing during breaks. Is there a proper playground for him to use, or is it just a flat field?

If he's being a loner and just sitting on a bench, that's no good. He needs to be encouraged to get up and run around like a maniac, expending as much energy as possible.

Exercise makes the brain focus better, helps with memory, and settles restless muscles.

Studies have shown that the less exercise a kid gets, the worse they do in school - both in behavior and academics. Cutting recess short in order to squeeze in another class is actually counter intuitive.

If you can't get him engaged in activity in school, buy an indoor trampoline. Encourage him to jump for 15 minutes in the morning before school, and as long as he wants when he gets home. If you allow videos, tell him he can watch as much as he wants, as long as he keeps jumping. The minute he stops jumping, the video goes off.

IMHO, schools expect way too much of kids, and especially of boys, when it comes to sitting still all day. Some day educators are going to look back and think that we were in the educational Dark Ages, and wonder what on earth was the point of making kids so sedentary.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:48 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
You need to find out what your son is doing during breaks. Is there a proper playground for him to use, or is it just a flat field?

If he's being a loner and just sitting on a bench, that's no good. He needs to be encouraged to get up and run around like a maniac, expending as much energy as possible.

Exercise makes the brain focus better, helps with memory, and settles restless muscles.

Studies have shown that the less exercise a kid gets, the worse they do in school - both in behavior and academics. Cutting recess short in order to squeeze in another class is actually counter intuitive.

If you can't get him engaged in activity in school, buy an indoor trampoline. Encourage him to jump for 15 minutes in the morning before school, and as long as he wants when he gets home. If you allow videos, tell him he can watch as much as he wants, as long as he keeps jumping. The minute he stops jumping, the video goes off.

IMHO, schools expect way too much of kids, and especially of boys, when it comes to sitting still all day. Some day educators are going to look back and think that we were in the educational Dark Ages, and wonder what on earth was the point of making kids so sedentary.

They have a fair amount of recess and gym time. I can ask him what he does in those times. If he doesn’t run around, how can I encourage him to do that? (He’s very petite, I’m assuming that may play a big role in his lack of participation in sports).

I also like the idea of jumping while watching. I stopped videos with my kids because it made them irritable. But this may be a solution. (We used to have an indoor trampoline but my boys took it apart beyond repair)

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:06 am
Rule out any physical illness, sometimes strept, constipation etc

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:10 am
Is he getting enough sleep? Proper nutrition?
One of my kids was acting out recently and he took a day off, had some quality time with me and baby, chilled a bit and it helped him a lot.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
Is he getting enough sleep? Proper nutrition?
One of my kids was acting out recently and he took a day off, had some quality time with me and baby, chilled a bit and it helped him a lot.

He’s getting a decent amount of sleep, about 10 hours a night. And he eats really well.

Maybe he does need more “me time”...

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:14 am
ShishKabob wrote:
Rule out any physical illness, sometimes strept, constipation etc

He just had his annual well visit, and everything seems ok.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:15 am
We call it a mental health day off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics