Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Eretz Yisrael Poll
Previous  1  2  3  4

My monthly expenses are:
Less than NIS 10,000  
 26%  [ 17 ]
Between 10,000 - 12,000  
 23%  [ 15 ]
Between 12,000 - 15,000  
 14%  [ 9 ]
More than NIS 15,000  
 34%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 63

bunnyrabbit

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:06 pm
yc wrote:
I don't fit in to the question as I have 8 kids, but our expenses are a little over 15,000.
I'm actually surprised that with up to 3 kids ppl spend that much? When we had a smaller family we spent much much less than now, even though our mortgage is almost paid off now and down to only 1500/month.

How many years ago did you have 3 kids? The cost of living, including basics like milk and vegetables, has gone up a lot. Also, most people on this thread are paying between 3000-5000 shekel on rent/mortgage, compared to your 1500, which could explain some of the difference.

Are any of your kids over 14 yet?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 12:46 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
she said that is is NOW valued at 2 million, that doesnt mean she bought it for 2million. Thats real estate for you.

If I were to sell my home now, It would also be able to get about 2 million, but I did pay that either.

Correct. We bought on paper before the heter b'niyah. We moved in 4 years later. Judging by the ads for similar diras in our neighborhood the value has about doubled. That’s how we were able to afford it and get a good mortgage.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 4:02 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Correct. We bought on paper before the heter b'niyah. We moved in 4 years later. Judging by the ads for similar diras in our neighborhood the value has about doubled. That’s how we were able to afford it and get a good mortgage.
what is heter b'niyah?

jd1212

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:11 pm
Are people posting income as pre- or post-tax? Trying to get a sense of what take-home pay is in Israel if we made aliyah

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:37 pm
essie14 wrote:
Me too.
For those of you in that category, did your parents buy you an apartment or have you already paid off your mortgage?

Buying is definitely not the norm- I'm in a community of baalei tshuvot in the merkaz (most of whom are in their late 30s, 40s) and 90% are renting. BH we bought our apartment (and are in our mid 20s) but only because DH had an apartment elsewhere which he sold and my parents gave us 100K to help with the down payment. Still have a big mortgage payment, but at least it's not going down the drain like rent. Also, an apartment in the merkaz can only increase in value these days.

Rappel

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:53 pm
jd1212 wrote:
Are people posting income as pre- or post-tax? Trying to get a sense of what take-home pay is in Israel if we made aliyah

I think people are posting pre-tax, mostly. "Bruto" means gross pay, "neto" means net pay, btw.

Do you have a career/degrees/experience? Where are you thinking of living? We may be able to help you project your potential expenses and salaries, so you have more information.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 4:10 am
jd1212 wrote:

Perhaps start a new thread so more people will see this question, as it's a good one.

A couple of things to keep in mind off the bat:

It very much varies by industry, obviously. Perhaps you can tell us what sort of job you'd be looking for?

Statistically, the average salary here is a bit over 10,000 shekel pretax. However, that number is extremely inaccurate as it's skewed by the high salaries in high tech, etc. You'll get a more accurate picture looking at median salary which is closer to about 6,000 shekel.

As in any other country, where you live is a huge factor in cost of living and average salaries. You'll get paid more in Tel Aviv but the cost of living is astronomical.

Taxes here work by points. You get certain points for being married, for each child, etc. So everyone's tax deductions are slightly different.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 4:29 am
Israeli_C wrote:
Buying is definitely not the norm- I'm in a community of baalei tshuvot in the merkaz (most of whom are in their late 30s, 40s) and 90% are renting. BH we bought our apartment (and are in our mid 20s) but only because DH had an apartment elsewhere which he sold and my parents gave us 100K to help with the down payment. Still have a big mortgage payment, but at least it's not going down the drain like rent. Also, an apartment in the merkaz can only increase in value these days.
I dont think that that is actually true. I think that overall most people do end up buying. Possibly your specific community, but I do think that overall most people do buy.

Rappel

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 6:45 am
amother wrote:
Perhaps start a new thread so more people will see this question, as it's a good one.

A couple of things to keep in mind off the bat:

It very much varies by industry, obviously. Perhaps you can tell us what sort of job you'd be looking for?

Statistically, the average salary here is a bit over 10,000 shekel pretax. However, that number is extremely inaccurate as it's skewed by the high salaries in high tech, etc. You'll get a more accurate picture looking at median salary which is closer to about 6,000 shekel.

As in any other country, where you live is a huge factor in cost of living and average salaries. You'll get paid more in Tel Aviv but the cost of living is astronomical.

Taxes here work by points. You get certain points for being married, for each child, etc. So everyone's tax deductions are slightly different.

Every word true!

bunnyrabbit

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont think that that is actually true. I think that overall most people do end up buying. Possibly your specific community, but I do think that overall most people do buy.

You think most people starting out today (or in the last 5 or so years) are buying in the merkaz, or buying in general?

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:20 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

It could be just my community (as I said, a lot of baalei tshuva, and quite a lot of the husbands don't have a job so they're living off of one salary).

Although I think it could be true for many others living in the merkaz these days... For the amount we paid for a 5 room apartment near Tel Aviv, someone could have bought a nice house on a yishuv

jd1212

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 12:58 pm
Rappel wrote:
I think people are posting pre-tax, mostly. "Bruto" means gross pay, "neto" means net pay, btw.

Do you have a career/degrees/experience? Where are you thinking of living? We may be able to help you project your potential expenses and salaries, so you have more information.

I'm in my mid-twenties with a BA in a social science from an Ivy league university and work as an insurance advisor/financial planner with state licenses. Whole different ballgame of expertise in Israel and would need to totally retrain.

My husband works in finance- his company has a branch in Israel. A couple of people reported salaries online on Glassdoor.com say between 12k and 18k/month for his position in Tel Aviv (which would be a 50%+ pay cut from current salary).

He could potentially(?) keep his American job but that would I assume mean working American hours and some monthly travel. Haven't looked into it yet.

I want to live somewhere urban enough that we wouldn't necessarily need a car, and has a lot of young DL couples without a million Anglos. Places I've heard could be good are Maale Adumim, Zichron Yaakov, Kiryat Shmuel part of Haifa? No kids yet. I know there's a big range in cost just amongst those.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 3:47 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
what is heter b'niyah?

Permission from the municipality to start building. There is a previous permit for digging. I believe they didn’t have that yet either when we signed.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics