Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Help
1  2  Next

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 1:41 pm
Okay, we are kicking off March with The Help by Kathryn Stockett!
It came in with a total of 10 likes.
That way we have a week and a half to get hold of the book.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 2:30 pm
The movie version of it was great!! So well done.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 3:31 pm
One of my favorite books!

Can you explain what this thread is?

perquacky

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 3:57 pm
Excellent choice! Great book and movie.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 4:02 pm
Smss—
Once we start reading we can post our thoughts on here

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 4:38 pm
perquacky wrote:
Excellent choice! Great book and movie.

I enjoyed both too. Smile

youngishbear

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 5:03 pm
I was hoping we would choose more original books...

I enjoyed reading/watching The Help but I've since learned that it has been criticized as a whitewashed tale that depicts a white woman as the heroine of a story that is supposed to be about hearing the voices of black women.

For example, Viola Davis has expressed reservations about the story; and she played Aibileen in the movie.

I guess this can be the first essay topic?

Sequoia, an assignment and rubric, please. Study

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 5:06 pm
Sorry, I’ve read enough reviews to know this book is not my cuppa.

Next time Smile

Reality

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 5:10 pm
I also feel dissapointed cuz I read it already!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 5:20 pm
I thought the book was much better than the movie, although the movie was extremely well acted.

The book goes much deeper into the characters' thought processes, and the things they have to deal with.

I thought it did a great job showing that the white woman was extremely aware of her privilege, and did not want to come across as a "tourist", savior, or white knight. She wanted to publish Black voices, and she knew that her privilege could help get them out there. It also showed the real fear of expressing your truth, knowing that there most likely will be repercussions.

It resonates today, because a lot of well meaning white people want to bridge the gap with Black people, and there is still a huge socioeconomic divide in so many cities. Black people are distrustful, most often with very good reason.

White people can be bumbling and clueless in their attempts to reach across the aisle, and that just makes Black people tired of having to explain things. On the other hand, if things don't get explained, how will we ever understand?

Above all, I loved how both the book and movie showed Black people with dignity, rich culture, and a society all of their own. They had agency within their own sphere, and they were proud of who they were.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 8:36 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I was hoping we would choose more original books...

I enjoyed reading/watching The Help but I've since learned that it has been criticized as a whitewashed tale that depicts a white woman as the heroine of a story that is supposed to be about hearing the voices of black women.

For example, Viola Davis has expressed reservations about the story; and she played Aibileen in the movie.

I guess this can be the first essay topic?

Sequoia, an assignment and rubric, please. Study

This is why I thought twice before suggesting it, however I thought that could actually spark an interesting discussion.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 8:38 pm
Ok since so many of us already read it, and possibly voted for it for that reason, how about we start the discussion and meanwhile whoever wants can read the runner up (Exodus) instead?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 8:55 pm
Ravenclaw, please explain how this works. How much time do we have to read the book? I do most of my reading on Shabbos and haven't read either The Help or Exodus (I'm such a highbrow — I printed out all 21 chapters of the Harry Potter fanfiction Goldstein last week!)

Should I order a copy of The Help now?

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:11 pm
Yes. So we have the whole March to read The Help. As soon as you want you can start posting your thoughts (please include spoiler alerts in your posts!). Whoever wants can raise topics for discussion.
I am just thinking if we shouldn’t offer The Exodus as a second book for those who already read The Help or who aren’t interested (like sequoia).

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:37 pm
I know that this book whitewashed history, but I still thought this was a great book. Id very much enjoy a discussion on this book. I read it a few years ago already.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:28 am
I've already read it, but happy to join in.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:42 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Yes. So we have the whole March to read The Help. As soon as you want you can start posting your thoughts (please include spoiler alerts in your posts!). Whoever wants can raise topics for discussion.
I am just thinking if we shouldn’t offer The Exodus as a second book for those who already read The Help or who aren’t interested (like sequoia).

If we start adding backup books, it splits the club into mini-clubs and some of the fun is lost. I think that the majority decision should be respected. Everyone is perfectly free to read whatever they want whenever they want, and join the discussion on the book of the month if they choose. It's just as much fun to discuss books read a while ago.

I have Wolf Hall waiting for me at the library. Thanks to whichever poster suggested it. It's been on my list for a while and the suggestion pushed me to get to it sooner rather than later. I'm asuming next month we will move on to a different genre, right?

Happy reading, everyone!

DVOM

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 9:57 am
youngishbear wrote:
If we start adding backup books, it splits the club into mini-clubs and some of the fun is lost. I think that the majority decision should be respected. Everyone is perfectly free to read whatever they want whenever they want, and join the discussion on the book of the month if they choose. It's just as much fun to discuss books read a while ago.

I have Wolf Hall waiting for me at the library. Thanks to whichever poster suggested it. It's been on my list for a while and the suggestion pushed me to get to it sooner rather than later. I'm asuming next month we will move on to a different genre, right?

Happy reading, everyone!

I agree, Bear. I say lets take one book at a time, or this is going to get confusing! I was also a little disappointed by the book that was picked because I've read it already and was hoping to read something a little less mainstream. You can't please everyone though!

So... The Help...

I'd love to hear from any Ima's that grew up during that time period in the south. Did you have black nannies in your homes? What was it like living in the segregated south? I can remember my friend's granddad telling us that when he was a teenager in the early sixties he had a summer job in a southern state that kept him outdoors and he got very tanned. He hopped on a bus once and was taken to be a black man. The anger and hatred he encountered on that bus, he said, changed his worldview forever (He ended up pulling his pants down a bit, showing that his behind was, in fact, white. Incredibly humiliating.)

What about in our homes, today? Those with live in or very full-time nannies: what do you think your kids' relationships are with their nannies? What do you think your nanny thinks about you?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:01 pm
I have both read the book and watched the movie several times. I grew up in the North and we didn't have household help of any kind. I have only had a maid for a year or so as an adult and she happened to be a Caucasian southerner probably of WASP descent (a. Not RICH WASP )

As a northerner, I found it hard to juxtapose the prevalent attitude of Caucasians of that era believing that African-Americans were dirty, slovenly, what-have-you would have these AA women make food for everyone, and nanny their kids. Cleaning a house or maintaining the yard is one thing, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that prejudiced women would trust the people whom they believe are inferior with preparing the food that they ate and their kids welfare.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
Cleaning a house or maintaining the yard is one thing, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that prejudiced women would trust the people whom they believe are inferior with preparing the food that they ate and their kids welfare.

You'd (not) love the movie "Green Book" - where prejudiced people invite a talented musician to perform in their homes, and treat him like dirt in every other respect...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room