Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
RIP Karl Lagerfeld

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:06 am
. . . wondering who will get custody of Choupette.

simba

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:09 am
And I am wondering what choupette’s inheritance looks like!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:10 am
I've always loved his designs. And miss his sample sales. RIP.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:12 am
Wow, that was a surprise.

"I am very much down to Earth. Just not this earth." -KL

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:26 am
tigerwife wrote:
Wow, that was a surprise.

"I am very much down to Earth. Just not this earth." -KL

Right!?

Lagerfeld was one of those people who hid his brilliance behind his self-parody.

Chanel wasn't really seen as that desirable a brand when Lagerfeld took over; they were basically selling perfume to middle-aged and elderly ladies. Somehow he was able to make the boxy suits cool again and even get a new generation hooked on Chanel No 5. While working at Fendi, too.

doctorima

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:27 am
simba wrote:
And I am wondering what choupette’s inheritance looks like!

Sounds like she'll come out just fine:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/ne.....l-cat

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:06 am
I found this comment very interesting !
https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....licy/

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:08 am
Good article here:

https://www.heyalma.com/karl-l.....00549

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:14 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Good article here:

https://www.heyalma.com/karl-l.....00549

Thank you. I had heard from multiple sources that he was anti Semitic so I looked up his original quote regarding Muslims and the Holocaust but it seems to me that it is just the opposite. Or, maybe he is just a chauvinist and hates all immigrants... Am I reading it correctly? Has anyone heard any other anti Semitic stories about him?

Of course his attitude towards plus size models and customers is mean and not very PC, but do you think that his comments could be justified as an aesthetic choice, or do you think designers should be ethically obligated to create clothing in all sizes? I've seen plus sized gowns designed by Christian Siriano and they are phenomenal... he is a true talent and master. I think Karl is just being elitist and old fashioned, but I guess that's his prerogative.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:21 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Thank you. I had heard from multiple sources that he was anti Semitic so I looked up his original quote regarding Muslims and the Holocaust but it seems to me that it is just the opposite. Or, maybe he is just a chauvinist and hates all immigrants... Am I reading it correctly? Has anyone heard any other anti Semitic stories about him?

Of course his attitude towards plus size models and customers is mean and not very PC, but do you think that his comments could be justified as an aesthetic choice, or do you think designers should be ethically obligated to create clothing in all sizes? I've seen plus sized gowns designed by Christian Siriano and they are phenomenal... he is a true talent and master. I think Karl is just being elitist and old fashioned, but I guess that's his prerogative.

Lagerfeld has always styled himself as elite, old world European aristocracy. I'm not sure if he was anti-Semitic per se, or just a snob in general.

It's nothing new that brilliant people can be unpleasant, if not downright horrible people. It's interesting when we admire the work, but dislike the person.

I feel that way about several actors and musicians who are very anti Israel and work for BDS (I'm looking at YOU, Roger Waters.) Can the two ever be separated?

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:24 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Can the two ever be separated?

Sure they can! But only for my personal favorites that I personally care about Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics