Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
My crisis: Purim vs downsizing

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 6:57 am
Let’s start by saying that dressing up on Purim is the most fun I have all year. The second most fun or maybe first is creating the costume. No store-bought pre-made duds for me! To that end, I have a collection of fabrics, fake jewelry, wigs, accessories etc. that I use for making my costumes. This collection lives on a high closet shelf that is accessible only by climbing a ladder.

Now I’m trying to downsize in general and especially to empty high shelves in all my closets, because climbing ladders and retrieving heavy boxes is something I should avoid for reasons of health, among them a bad back.

So here’s the dilemma: costumes spark joy. But it’s only once a year. Space is at a premium. Lower shelves are full of things I use more often. My minimalist organizer side says “get rid of it.” My fun loving Purim side says “are you crazy? Spark joy! “ My physical therapist says “Keep it or don’t, but get it off that high shelf!”.

What to do, what to do? The costume gmach wants full costumes, not random pieces to mix and match. Any ideas?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:00 am
Lol! I would keep it since it is sparking joy!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:01 am
Are you me?

Sorry, no advice. I'm up to my eyeballs in gorgeous silk and velvet fabric.

I'm a natural magpie, and I can't resist anything shiny. I won't even let my friend who is a professional organizer into my apartment, because I don't want her trying to steal my joy.

All I can say, is store old blankets, Pesach stuff, seasonal clothes, etc. on the high shelves, and put your fabric lower. Find someone with a strong teenager who can come over and help you get stuff down when you need it. (that's what I do)

Surrendered

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:04 am
Can you think of a neighbor or friend that has a bit more space to keep it in their storage closet or basement for you year round so you can take it back only pre-purim?

Shuly

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:06 am
Ask someone to take it down for you when you need it.

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:12 am
Just hire someone or ask a teenage boy to bring it down and put it back up. It's only once a year.

Your issue is not that you don't have the storage and it's cluttering things but that you can't climb up to retrieve them.

This stuff still brings you joy so you shouldn't get rid of it. It's cheap and easy to hire someone every Purim until it no longer brings you joy,

And since you shouldn't be climbing up to access that storage area anyway, what else would you put up there. If you NEVER need or want something, then it shouldn't be stored. If you need it once a year, hire someone or ask a favor.

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:24 am
Purim doesn't speak joy just one day. It's a whole season. Keep the costumes and get someone to take them down for you.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:44 am
I agree, Don't give them away, it's a part of you. I second the suggestion of asking someone to bring it down for you once a year and having them return it there after the Purim season is over. Even the cleaning lady or whoever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics