Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
So done with homework
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 6:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'd love a more detailed breakdown of what you mean. I feel like I have to break everything down in my head, things I don't usually think about, in order to model.

She had four parts on the test-
Teitch, shorashim, and two more...... so first I told her to do teitch- read the word and the teitch. If she didnt know a word she had to look it up herself, study it, make a mark, and come back to it to make sure she remembered it. Then when it was done( this took the longest) to move onto shorashim- say the answer and check herself (answered was in back of the card) if she got it correct then go to the next word... makes sense?

meyerlemon44

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 6:44 pm
I'd love to have some input from parents of kids with ASD and/or ADD. I find it nearly impossible to do homework with my 7 year old.

sweet

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 6:49 pm
Me too!
Thats why Im looking forward to the summer.
Interestingly, my boys (1st and 3rd graders have way more H.W. then my 5th grade daughter.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 7:51 pm
If my 8 yr old son didnt do homework he would fail school. For real. There is nothing to do about it. He is not the kind of kid who things come easy and needs to work very hard to do well.

That said there is so much work. Reading chumash, translation, reading mishnayos, translation, reading rashi, translation, shorashim quiz, ksivah practice. Spelling homework, math homework, spelling quizzes, math test review, book reports....

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 7:53 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
I'd love to have some input from parents of kids with ASD and/or ADD. I find it nearly impossible to do homework with my 7 year old.

Have you contacted the teachers to let them know?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:32 pm
This thread is making me feel very bad for you all. I am bh very happy with my kids school. For other reasons as well, but they are into giving minimal HW. My girls spend very little time on HW. And its usually simple. Like basic review of what was learned. and not much memorizing. I see now how lucky we are!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:42 pm
Kids with asd have enough stress without homework. I informed the teachers that we will do it only if we want. Another asd kid in a special hfa class I said we want no homework so there is none.

I'm with u op all the way.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:12 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:

In this case the school should moderate their homework. They should definitely get away with the homework that is the most difficult for them to do.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 8:09 am
Why do parents let
I don't do someone's hw

gila-rina

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 8:30 am
What I'm upset about is the teachers not teaching how to study. Even spelling, which may seem like simple memorization, can be taugh by different methods. For math though, I don't know another method to learn besides practicing, a lot.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 8:49 am
amother wrote:
This thread is making me feel very bad for you all. I am bh very happy with my kids school. For other reasons as well, but they are into giving minimal HW. My girls spend very little time on HW. And its usually simple. Like basic review of what was learned. and not much memorizing. I see now how lucky we are!

Well, thank your lucky stars. What school do your girls go to?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 11:43 am
OP, it's true. While I agree with your grievances, I think you don't want to be classified in the rebellious mother classification (nowadays, these types of mothers get a bad rap very quickly). So, if I were you, and I have done this, is that I agree to help with one homework for that child. I will let the teacher know that, and they can decide which homework takes priority and that's the one you'll agree to do with the child. And it can't take longer than 10 minutes. Homework is supposed to be something that the student can do themselves with minimal assistance. If it takes the kishkas out of you it's not considered homework, it's reteaching the kid basically.
Another thing, if that child knows his work and is a good student, I will not drive them crazy to 'chazer' or do it. One reminder about homework and then it's their responsibility to complete it. I will sign it upon completion and that's that. I gave up on accepting my children's homework as my own homework a long time ago. It didn't work well with us.
I want my children to enjoy being around me, not dread being near me because I am their homework drill sergeant.

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:55 am
Homework is so stressful for me.

Just venting. Sad

Of my children, my middle school son is the one with the most homework, I guess because English is departmental. I help him with Gemara too (my husband is often working late, etc) but it's all just very stressful overall.

I do try to train my kids do be independent with homework, but somehow it doesn't work out so well for me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics