Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Isis member wants “a second chance”
Previous  1  2  3  4

Jeanette

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:47 am
Double post

Fox

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:55 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Can you point to the article? I did a search for Muthana on Politico, and it doesn't come up for me.

I don't know how failing to provide notice of her father's change in status could affect her, given that even undocumented aliens -- who don't tell the government much of anything -- have kids who are citizens. And given that her parents claim to be able to demonstrate that they had been granted permanent resident status by time of her birth.

We'll see how it all plays out.

It's a link provided by Politico to the actual filing. See page 8.

Politico Link

Apparently the United States Mission to the United Nations, Host Country Affairs section, did not receive notification until February of 1995 that Ahmed Ali Muthana's diplomatic status had been terminated. Based on that, the State Department revoked Muthana's citizenship.

I'm obviously not an expert on international immigration and/or diplomatic law, but it sounds like this just a case of improper paperwork at the United Nations. Under ordinary circumstances, a judge would probably say, "Okay, this was obviously just a bureaucratic mess-up, and we can grant and/or restore citizenship."

But the fact that Ms. Muthana joined ISIS may make everyone a bit less forgiving of the fact that some I's weren't dotted and some t's weren't crossed on her initial claim.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:56 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Can you point to the article? I did a search for Muthana on Politico, and it doesn't come up for me.

I don't know how failing to provide notice of her father's change in status could affect her, given that even undocumented aliens -- who don't tell the government much of anything -- have kids who are citizens. And given that her parents claim to be able to demonstrate that they had been granted permanent resident status by time of her birth.

We'll see how it all plays out.

This is from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....says/

Quote:
documents provided by Muthana’s lawyers indicate that her father had been discharged from his diplomatic position by the time of her birth on Oct. 28, 1994, by which point her mother had also gained permanent residency status. When the government revoked the young woman’s passport in January 2016, it stated in a letter that she was not a birthright citizen because her father’s termination had not been officially documented until February 1995 — a claim disputed by the family’s lawyers, who point to a notice from the United States Mission to the United Nations dating the end of his service to Sept. 1, 1994.

The notice, signed by a U.N. official, was used by Muthana’s father when he was applying for a passport on behalf of his daughter, then a minor, in 2004. The government issued the passport in January 2005, and the travel document was renewed before she left for Syria more than four years ago, when she disappeared after telling family she was going to a school event.

anon for this

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 11:00 am
I'm confused. If Muthana was determined by the Obama administration not to be a citizen, as outlined by the 2016 letter, why didn't Pompeo and Trump cite that letter?

Jeanette

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 11:05 am
anon for this wrote:
I'm confused. If Muthana was determined by the Obama administration not to be a citizen, as outlined by the 2016 letter, why didn't Pompeo and Trump cite that letter?

Doesn't that undercut the narrative that Obama is the founder of ISIS?

Fox

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 11:24 am
anon for this wrote:

It was a rhetorical point. They want to look tough, not like bean-counters. Even though bean-counting is what it will come down to in court.

They're probably also attempting to telegraph the position that this is not a case where the State Department is willing to say, "Okay, fine. We made a mistake. Welcome home, honey!"

ectomorph

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:45 pm
Fox wrote:
It was a rhetorical point. They want to look tough, not like bean-counters. Even though bean-counting is what it will come down to in court.

They're probably also attempting to telegraph the position that this is not a case where the State Department is willing to say, "Okay, fine. We made a mistake. Welcome home, honey!"

I personally find it very disturbing that she isn't willing to say that she regrets her time in Syria. And disagrees with Isis goals.

Personally I think that they should put her in prison and for every Isis bride that they take back here and put in prison they should take 10 yazidis.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics