Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Smollet VS. Roseanne Barr
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:31 pm
itsmeima wrote:
This is so disturbing! Yet here we are talking about AOC, Hillary and Smollett!

Go figure!

That is the point I was (am) trying to make.

There are extremely important issues that impact the security of the world that are happening.

And yet there are posts on incredibly trivial topics such as whether AOC owes her success to her boyfriend or whether a disturbed actor on a bad television show staged a publicity event.

Maya

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:35 pm
watergirl wrote:
Honestly, politics annoy me and I dont enter these threads unless it seems like there is a need to. I see what is reported. Please report when you see online bullying. I was referring to her OP like this one, which is not calling anyone out.

I’m not a child and I can handle myself. But when my privileges get taken away over something relatively trivial, and liberal posters get reprimanded for no reason, while these hate filled posts are allowed to continue, it makes me wonder. That’s all.

Amarante

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:37 pm
watergirl wrote:
It was the tone of your post that made it into what I saw as an attack. If you wanted to know why she selects topics, you could have asked her point blank and left out the commentary with the amount of time she spends selecting the posts or the frum womens website.

Again, if you feel mean posts are directed at you, please report them so I see it.

I don't report any posts directed at me.

My question would have been meaningless without the context of multiple posts started on a daily basis by OP. I regret if this was misconstrued as an ad hominem post.

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:42 pm
Maya wrote:
I’m not a child and I can handle myself. But when my privileges get taken away over something relatively trivial, and liberal posters get reprimanded for no reason, while these hate filled posts are allowed to continue, it makes me wonder. That’s all.

I understand and I want to help but can only do what I can do.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:42 pm
It's not smollett that is the danger but the incitement to violence against maga hat wearers that his actions represent.

Maya

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:51 pm
watergirl wrote:
I understand and I want to help but can only do what I can do.

Perhaps you should be more aware of what happens in the politics thread before you call out a poster who is always respectful while allowing really terrible posts to slide just because they weren’t reported. I don’t see it as a good enough excuse.

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:53 pm
Maya wrote:
Perhaps you should be more aware of what happens in the politics thread before you call out a poster who is always respectful while allowing really terrible posts to slide just because they weren’t reported. I don’t see it as a good enough excuse.

Yes, I will be more present moving forward. However, the post I called out was not respectful.

itsmeima

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:54 pm
watergirl wrote:
Yes, I will be more present moving forward. However, the post I called out was not respectful.

As a “liberal” that would be much appreciated!

itsmeima

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:58 pm
ectomorph wrote:
It's not smollett that is the danger but the incitement to violence against maga hat wearers that his actions represent.

Plus

Amarante wrote:

In addition to Pelosi, Hasson was allegedly considering some type of violent assault on Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, Sens. Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand and Richard Blumenthal, along with U.S. Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Maxine Waters and former House member, Beto O'Rourke. The spreadsheet list also included MSNBC hosts Chris Hayes and Joe Scarborough, as well as Don Lemon and Van Jones from CNN.

Fox

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 4:04 pm
Amarante wrote:
My question is why do you spend so much time on a frum woman's site posting irrelevant and ultimately meaningless right wing propaganda?

Why do women endlessly post questions regarding birth control that they should be asking their doctors?

Why do women keep asking about places to vacation?

Why do fairies dance on the lawn?

Why is the Pope always a Roman Catholic?

When another poster complained about the political topic in a thread recently, I pointed out that she could simply avoid such threads. She sarcastically thanked me for pointing that out but said she was opting to stay.

Complaining that a topic is worthless is a cop-out. If you think it's worthless, avoid it. If you think it's worth a response, give it an evidence-based one. The implication that a topic is beneath a poster's dignity and time is ridiculous. If it really were, you wouldn't respond.

Amarante wrote:
As a threat to democracy, you think Smollett is more important than Hasson, the Coast Guard officer, who was arrested for a scheme to assassinate Democratic leaders and news broadcasters.

I wasn't aware that the definition of "news" was that there had to be a threat to democracy.

However, I read about Hasson's arrest on Breitbart two days ago, and it's certainly received attention on Twitter and less prominent conservative sites. It certainly wasn't buried by the conservative media.

Which is a greater threat to democracy? Definitely the Smollett case. Hasson apparently wanted to target individuals for assassination. That's horrible, but he wasn't seeking to blame others for his intended murders. Fortunately, he was caught before he could carry out his plans.

Smollett, on the other hand, deliberately planned details to cast blame on anyone with whom he disagreed politically. He deliberately caused racial minorities and LGBT individuals to feel less safe that they objectively are. His prominence resulted in public figures offering support and making untrue statements about hate crime in general.

While a lot of news outlets have reported FBI figures that show hate crimes have increased, they don't include some of the caveats, including the fact that 1000 additional agencies started reporting data to the FBI or that the vast majority of "hate crimes" are vandalism or "intimidation." Nor do the statistics differentiate between hoaxes (of which there are plenty) and those deemed legitimate.

So, yes, Smollett has done a serious disservice to the U.S. and to Chicago. He has made people who might already feel vulnerable feel unsafer than they actually are. He has made people more skeptical of reported hate crimes. He has made his friends and the public figures who supported him look like fools.

By all means, start a thread on Hasson. I doubt you'll find anyone defending him. I doubt you'll find anyone claiming he's "starting a conversation" or was the victim of racist police or even suffered from a drug addiction.

And while you're at it, maybe start one on the recent Portland Town Hall, another story that should be getting more attention.

Twitter -- Andy Ngo
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics