Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Yerushalayim shel zahav

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:46 pm
I love this song! I just watched this and I am bawling! I am filled with such longing to be there now (I was in EY only once, 15 years ago). I'm jealous of all you Israeli amothers who get to live there all the time.

Sleepymama

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 8:22 pm
I always missed half the words in that song, never fully understood it. Thanks so much for posting this with the words. So beautiful. So moving, and powerful. Thanks for sharing this.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:59 am
Here are some videos made in Jerusalem that speak more to my life in a real place by that name.

I was at this show where they released their first album. For more Djamchid Sisters, no I mean for more *of* the Djaschid Sisters although there is one more and she's got her own band, see their own channel where the video of this same song displays a still photo taken in the courtyard of the Jerusalem Nature Museum in the German Colony.

This song mentions Jerusalem once but I thought of it because it takes place in Jerusalem, not far from where I'm writing this.

This one is not really about Jerualem (well not most parts of it but there are places where no one uses slang that old but ...) but it's filmed on the tracks of the Light Rail and the rest of the Indie City videos at the same channel are also filmed at various Jerusalem locations.

OK, one more from that channel because they're friends of mine, filmed a block away from City Hall.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:24 am
That was a lovely rendition, OP.
The singer has a beautiful voice.
I was disappointed though in the video footage. It was kind of cliched.
I would have liked more shots of the new city. There are so many places of interest, vibrancy and beauty in Jerusalem, aside from the Old City and Me'ah Shearim.
It didn't do the city justice.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:34 am
etky wrote:
That was a lovely rendition, OP.
The singer has a beautiful voice.
I was disappointed though in the video footage. It was kind of cliched.
I would have liked more shots of the new city. There are so many places of interest, vibrancy and beauty in Jerusalem, aside from the Old City and Me'ah Shearim.
It didn't do the city justice.

I guess that's why it pulled me so. There are many beautiful places in EY and of course Jerusalem specifically. But this spoke of a Yerushalayim of old, from over 2000 years ago. And having access again to places of our ancestors, to the Wall, is magnetic.

yonabets

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:12 am
amother wrote:
I love this song! I just watched this and I am bawling! I am filled with such longing to be there now (I was in EY only once, 15 years ago). I'm jealous of all you Israeli amothers who get to live there all the time.

After marrying my d.h,
Making alya was The best decision I took in my life!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:14 am
Before I made Aliyah, this video used to make me cry my eyes out.

COME BACK HOME!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:29 am
I've always thought Naomi Shemer had a bit of divine inspiration in writing the lyrics.

Etky is right, though, that the video relies on cliches. Somehow they give the impression that Yerushalayim (and all of Israel) is a religious Disneyland - a place for visiting, not for living. What's amazing is not what once was, but what exists now.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 4:13 am
amother wrote:
I've always thought Naomi Shemer had a bit of divine inspiration in writing the lyrics.

Etky is right, though, that the video relies on cliches. Somehow they give the impression that Yerushalayim (and all of Israel) is a religious Disneyland - a place for visiting, not for living. What's amazing is not what once was, but what exists now.

You're both half right. It's ALL amazing, past, present and future. Heart

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:52 am
amother wrote:

I can't see the video because of my filter, but yes, totally. One thing I'm always saying is, "Eretz Yisrael is not Narnia" -- that is, it IS part of the real world and not just a place to go to before going back to real life.

simba

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:55 am
I can’t watch these videos for the sake of Sholom Bayis. I’ll start kvetching to dh that we have to move ( or at least go visit for 10 yrs) and he will offer me a one way ticket and tell me he is staying back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational