Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Mortified- Bought Unkosher, What to do??
Previous  1  2

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:30 pm
creditcards wrote:
Now I know why I shop in a grocery that carries only kosher ingredients. I know not everyone has this convenience available.

My father once purchased non-Kosher snacks in an all kosher grocery store. They accidentally had a few bags of a treif flavor. After paying and walking out he realized it had no hechsher, so he went back in to tell them.

Just be careful, because there is no guarantee.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:33 pm
I know someone who did something like this. Once they dealt with the halachic technicalities, she still felt a need to do something. Her rav recommended she take on a kabbalah related to shmiras lashon- dealing with what comes out of her mouth as a kaparah for what went in.

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:36 pm
creditcards wrote:
Now I know why I shop in a grocery that carries only kosher ingredients. I know not everyone has this convenience available.

Ok, so I live in a place where they only sell heimishe hashgachas in the groceries, they don't even sell any ou etc stuff.
They do however sell some ou stuff for babies etc.

I once bought pedialyte for a kid who didn't feel well. And guess what, dd shows me that particular flavor is actually ou-d. Not just ou as I thought it is. I had given it after fleishigs, besides for that we are using only cholov yisroel.

Can happen to anyone, no matter where you shop.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:03 pm
Why "mortified"? It can and probably does happen to everyone at some point, unless they only ever shop in all-frum, all-kosher markets, which is a luxury afforded only to those who live in certain communities. Not only that, but there are often errors in labeling, hechsherim that are left off, and hechsherim that are printed fraudulently without authorization. (Most of you probably don't remember the dark days when Stella d'Oro Swiss Fudge cookies, aka streimel cookies, were slated to go milchik. The packages were already labeled (U)D in anticipation thereof, even though the switch had not yet been made. Sales plummeted, the company ultimately decided to remain pareve, and the labels went back to (U)D.)

There are frequent changes, companies gain and lose hechsherim and the stock in a store may be mixed. AYLOR what to do, and get over your completely unnecessary guilt and mortification.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
I accidentally bought a hot cocoa mix, that I later realized is not marked kosher- after my family already had it. I feel terrible. What should I do?

Also, do I have to kosher all of my utensils and glasses??

The mix is Swiss Miss milk chocolate hot cocoa. It's confusing, because larger sizes of the same brand and type (28.5 oz cannister) ARE kosher. The ingredients are basically the same, except the kosher one has artificial flavor and the unkosher one (that I had) has natural flavor. I really feel so bad. Please advise.

Anonymous because of my obvious embarrassment. Sad

I thought it was Kosher, Cholev Stam? 🤔
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics