Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
16 month old sleep regression

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:10 pm
Help!
My 16 month old is driving me completely nuts!!! I used to be able to cuddle her and say shema while she drank her bottle and put her in her crib and walk out. Occasionally she'd cry the most a minute. If she woke up in the middle of the night I would give her her paci and she'd go back to sleep.

Two weeks ago when I put her to bed she started screaming when I put her in her crib and hasn't let me leave since lol. No honestly, after that first night I keep having to stay with her with my hand on her back until she falls asleep. Tonight it has taken an hour. And she's tired alright. In the middle of the night... after the first week and a half of me doing the same in the middle of the night I have found it much more conducive to bring her to my bed.

Please give me advice on how to get this kid to sleep easier I'm going out of my mind my other kids are going nuts too!!!!

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:01 pm
Sounds familiar.. my 16 month old is acting the same way. I think he is just getting older and smarter. I try to make sure he's tired enough at bedtime and sing shema and cover him and leave room. I let him cry up to 5 minutes, usually he stops right away. They test you to see if you'll come back and if you do.. they will keep testing u.. try not to give in to them. Bedtime is bedtime!

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:30 pm
The more you stay the longer bedtime will take, because then they keep on checking if you are still there

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:33 pm
I left her a lot in the beginning but she was screaming like crazy. The most I would really leave her is 10 minutes and it's just not working...

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:33 pm
I never cuddle by bed time cuz once you start they want more. I kiss and hug once and settle in. (don't worry, we cuddle and spend time before bed). my 16 mo just started waking up in middle of the night. he hasn't done that in months and suddenly he's up and crying at two am.
guess it's the age.

simba

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:54 pm
My 12 month old just started this shtick. Following here for some sage advice.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:50 pm
when my 16 month old kept waking up after putting him into sleep at least 2-3 times a night, I had a feeling he had an ear infection.. and after 2 nights I checked it out and indeed he had a double ear infect. He is also teething badly and getting his molars which is also a good reason why he wouldn't sleep well.. Once bedtime comes they feel their aches and pains since they are not being kept busy with their mischief.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
when my 16 month old kept waking up after putting him into sleep at least 2-3 times a night, I had a feeling he had an ear infection.. and after 2 nights I checked it out and indeed he had a double ear infect. He is also teething badly and getting his molars which is also a good reason why he wouldn't sleep well.. Once bedtime comes they feel their aches and pains since they are not being kept busy with their mischief.

Very true.

Also, it can mean a big growth spurt is coming on. Be prepared for DC to eat everything in sight, and suddenly need a whole new wardrobe.

Just remember, this too shall pass.

tothepoint

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:31 pm
I would just tell her good night and walk out. Then let her cry and do check-ins every 5-10 minutes. She’s probably testing you to see if she can make you give in to her protests.

Chances are the crying will cease after 2-3 nights. Actually I would be surprised if it doesn’t
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics