Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
So... whatcha reading?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

DREAMING

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:50 pm
I really enjoyed "Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine "
Also " Ginny Moon"

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:30 pm
youngishbear wrote:
What did I miss about The Hobbit? I did not enjoy it much.

Is it supposed to be funny? Maybe I like my humor to hit me over the head like Mark Twain or PG Wodehouse, and Tolkien's wit is too subtle or sophisticated for me.

Or I read it before I really began to appreciate fantasy, and I need to give it another chance? I think I'll move on to the Lord of the Rings and see if I like it better.

One of the first high fantasy stories... rife with iconoclastic tropes and archetypes... timeless themes... and a dragon. Who can resist a story about a dragon that tells riddles?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:16 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
One of the first high fantasy stories... rife with iconoclastic tropes and archetypes... timeless themes... and a dragon. Who can resist a story about a dragon that tells riddles?

I thought that might be it. I guess if I look at it from a history of literature perspective it works.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:49 pm
How could I forget the Molly Moon series? Good clean fun, suitable for all ages and hashkafot. Molly and her pug dog Petula get into all kinds of adventures together.

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 6:05 am
Salt by Mark Kurlansky.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 6:09 am
youngishbear wrote:

Is it supposed to be funny? Maybe I like my humor to hit me over the head like Mark Twain or PG Wodehouse, and Tolkien's wit is too subtle or sophisticated for me.

Or I read it before I really began to appreciate fantasy, and I need to give it another chance? I think I'll move on to the Lord of the Rings and see if I like it better.

I did not like the hobbit either. I was only about 12 or so. Maybe I should try again. I never tried lord of the rings because I didn’t like the hobbit.

Waffles

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:00 am
Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan. YA, but good for all ages. Best book ever. My whole family (grandma, mother, teen) loved it.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:17 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Scotty, did you read the entire Discworld series? Are they stand-alone novels, or do I need to read them in order?

some are stand=alones but he also has subseries that need to be read in order, like the Det. Sam Vimes series (my favorites), the Mort series, and the Granny Weatherwax/Nanny Ogg series

smile4ever

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:30 pm
The Choice, A Memoir by Dr Edith Eva Eger. I don't usually read memoirs and haven't finished it yet but so far is absolutely amazing!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:45 pm
I recently finished Crazy Rich by Jerry Oppenheimer. The story of the Johnson &Johnson dynasty.....if you ever thought that your family is dysfunctional read this book. You will realize that nothing comes close.

Now I'm reading Abandoned by Allison Brennan

Laiya

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:38 pm
Thanks for the suggestions here. My kids have been enjoying the Terry Pratchett books and others.

Any good non-fiction recommendations for good y"t reading?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:39 pm
Non-fiction...
Prairie Fires
Madame Fourcade's Secret War
The Miracle of Dunkirk

Mom23gs

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 1:48 pm
The Queens’ Thief is an amazing series.

For YA I also really like the Graceling series by Kristen Cashore

Melina Marchetta...pretty much everything she writes but especially The Lunatere Chronicles series.

Cinda Williams Chima...everything of hers too.

Sara J Maas Throne of Glass series

Not fantasy, but When My Heart Joins the Thousand by AJ Steiger is really good, as is Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 2:28 pm
Another non fiction rec-
Spies of No Country (about Sephardi Jews who were spies before, and during, the Israeli war of independence). New book, was just recently published . Very interesting.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 2:29 pm
Sorry, double post.

Laiya

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:26 pm
Thank you, I just reserved some of these.

Any other non-fiction books you enjoyed?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:29 pm
I really enjoyed The Shift by Theresa Brown.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:37 pm
More non -fiction--
The Arrogant Years by Lucette Lagnado
Three Minutes in Poland (forgot the author)
Both are Jewish themed.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:37 pm
youngishbear wrote:

I found the Hobbit much more boring than LOTR, but I also read them in around 6th grade, so I wonder if an adult would appreciate it more.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:42 pm
My new favorite author is Fredrik Backman. He wrote "A Man Called Ove" which is amazing and also "Britt-Marie was here". I couldn't put them down. His others weren't as good IMO.

I also recently read Greenglass House and enjoyed it. It's a kids/YA book by Kate Milford.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room