Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Self promotion

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:46 am
I think I'm skilled at what I do in my profession. But in order to work, I need clients. And in order to get clients, I need to learn how to promote myself and network.

I HATE this. It's SO not my personality. I'm a shy, introverted, insecure (with people), perfectionist.

Having to meet people I don't know, and convince them I'm competent, is the worst thing in the world for me.

I know I'm not the only out there in this situation. Looking for advice or book recommendations.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:48 am
I hear you! I love everything about my job except all the business stuff. If it's in your budget, you can hire someone to do marketing for you.

forgetit

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:46 pm
I'm all the way with you. Started going out of my comfort zone bit by bit. Started with ppl that I'm not so intimidated by, emails (which doesnt require any awkward intros), etc.
Also lots of pep talk to self about how skilled I am and that I can do this.
Also look at how ppl promote themselves on LinkedIn. I DON'T like much of it, but it helps me realize that is what must be done. It also helped me chart my way on how I'd like to craft my self-promotion message.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:54 pm
OP, I can so relate. Also in the middle of promoting myself/business. I keep telling myself- kol haschalos kashos. I cannot get to step B if I don’t do step A.

What I’m finding most helpful is setting very realistic goals for myself- email 5 potential clients to this week. Do 3 follow up calls from very promising emails I sent out last week. One pop in visit this week (eeek those are the worst Surprised ).

I make sure to accomplish these goals when I am well dressed, well-rested, and well-fed so that I can sound confident and my best.

AND I say a perek of tehilim before each email, call and visit and tell myself over and over again that the worst thing that can happen is they’ll say NO. And that is totally okay.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:56 pm
I've been working hard at growing my residential and kitchen design business over the last few years (note that I got in a plug for my business in the first sentence! Very Happy )

You don't say what kind of work you do, but think of how you can best reach potential clients. Can they find you easily? Do your friends and acquaintances know what you do? Do you have an "elevator pitch?" Business cards? A professional-looking website? Is there a place you can be raising your profile? For me it's houzz.com. For others it might be Instagram or LinkedIn.

It gets easier as your business grows. Most of my clients are referrals or repeats — and I really know my stuff, so I don't have to spend much time proving my value. But getting to this point takes time.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:03 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, and especially the validation ladies

MrsEsther

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:26 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I've been working hard at growing my residential and kitchen design business over the last few years (note that I got in a plug for my business in the first sentence! Very Happy )

You don't say what kind of work you do, but think of how you can best reach potential clients. Can they find you easily? Do your friends and acquaintances know what you do? Do you have an "elevator pitch?" Business cards? A professional-looking website? Is there a place you can be raising your profile? For me it's houzz.com. For others it might be Instagram or LinkedIn.

It gets easier as your business grows. Most of my clients are referrals or repeats — and I really know my stuff, so I don't have to spend much time proving my value. But getting to this point takes time.

How can I see your work? do you have a website or Instagram?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:34 pm
Here is a link to my website: https://design613.com/

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 6:41 pm
Very nice, Rubber Ducky! I wish that were my kitchen!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 7:04 pm
If you post the type of business you have, I'd love to help you brainstorm. I've studied marketing extensively.

As a photographer, I would love to shoot newborns every day and not have to deal with the marketing. And I'd also love to ignore the bookkeeping, secretary work, clean up, and all those other tasks that business owners must do.

Is there an option, in your industry, to work for a company rather than for yourself? This way they would be responsible for some of the marketing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics