Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Explain Neighborhoods in Baltimore
1  2  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:09 am
We are seriously considering moving to Baltimore.
Can you explain what the different neighborhoods are about? Unfortunately we don't live close enough to actually check it out but I do want to look into homes in the neighborhood that is best for me.
We are yeshivish. My husband wears black and white but is a professional. It is important to him that he fits in with the neighbors. I am willing to pay about $600k for a NICE home in a NICE neighborhood. I do not want to live in a dangerous neighborhood. I need an area where my kids can play with like minded neighbors.
Advice?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:43 am
Probably someone living here longer than me can explain the neighborhoods better.. However, I really do not think you would need to pay $600K in Baltimore unless you want something really GORGEOUS..
There are semi-attached in park heights going for low-middle $200K
and then larger homes for between $300-400..

Greenspring/ranchleigh neighborhood is prob closer to the 400 mark but I'm sure others can chime in and clarify.

My advice is- figure out which neighborhood you think suits you and rent a house for a year to make sure
A. your jobs work out here
B. you like the schools
C. you actually like the neighborhood you chose to rent in and would be happy buying there..
I think it's really hard to buy a house until you live in the community bec you are making a big commitment w/o knowing if you will like it and e/t will work out for you here..

Anon just bec don't want to out my location -n/t to do with this specific post

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:44 am
To clarify, I dont need to spend that much. I just will if I need to.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:51 am
I don't live in Baltimore, but have visited multiple times. Hopefully locals will post with more detailed and updated info, but the sense I have is that the Park Heights neighborhood is the most well-established, but also not as nice a neighborhood.

Greenspring has nicer houses and blocks that would probably be a better fit for you, and you'd likely be happy at Agudah of Greenspring or nearby Shomrei Emunah. And even there, you'll be able to get a very nice house for significantly less than $600k.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:53 am
Look into these shuls in green spring area - r' pinny gross ans r' Berger's shul. Berger's is very right wings but not as yeshivish as yeshiva lane type area. If u want a nice safe neighborhood and a brand new nice house maybe consider beazer.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
To clarify, I dont need to spend that much. I just will if I need to.

I’ll type more when I have a chance. But no, you dont need to spend that much at all. You can if you want but there is a lot available for much less.

Its Baltimore, no one cares what you wear. Black and white and profession doesnt make you fit in or not fit in. This isnt that kind of city and thats why we love it here.

Also. Nowhere is super safe, sad to say. I live in Park Heights (bought a semi detatched a year ago for under 200k and was flipped so its all new everything, not just cosmetic but he flipped all but the frame). Even the newer areas in the county have had more than their fare share of crime.

I’ll write more later.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:18 pm
Summit park, ranchleigh, or beazer May be a good fit for you. Nicer neighborhoods, good mix of people and close to Shuls that may fit your preference.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:18 pm
So Baltimore is unique in that it is not polarized at all. People do their thing and wear what they want and all live together. You can find a little of everything in every neighborhood. Unfortunately, Baltimore was also just named the most dangerous city in the US. Honestly though, that's not where the Jewish community is, however, we also get our fair share of crime. If you are still considering Baltimore after that tidbit of info, Greenspring is a better bet than Park Heights.

Baltimore is chock full of Yeshivish professionals. Thank you Ner Yisrael.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:48 pm
Following

Busy as a bee

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:57 pm
Happy to talk to you about the neighborhoods and more if you'd like to PM me Very Happy

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:00 pm
The Park Heights area is more yeshivish and cheaper houses
the Greenspring area has nicer bigger houses. It's a mix of all types
there's also TA area and Yeshiva Lane

I think you should go to Baltimore for a shabbos and check out neighborhoods and shuls. R' Heber shul is popular in Park Heights area and R' Berger shul and Shomrei in Greenspring. In ranchlei, R' Seideman and R' Naiman have shuls.

You should also check out schools Bais Yaakov or Bnos Yisroel and TA or TI.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:23 pm
Agree with the posters above that a professional who wears black and white will fit in well and be respected throughout the community! I think some of what differentiates various neighborhoods is gashmius level. While there's definitely a mix in each neighborhood, in some the people have a simpler lifestyle than others. [edited to remove possible lashon hara]

And definitely come visit, possibly rent for a year before committing to a neighborhood!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:57 pm
Thank you, all.
I actually came for a shabbos last year but couldn't get enough of a feel. It was winter and not many people out. We tried our best - hung out at Jcc on motzei, went to shul on shabbos day, went to supermarket just to see people....
It's hard to get a feel over a Shabbos or two. (If you have any tips for getting a feel, pls share! )Thats why I'm trying to do as much research here as possible before I come in . Also, I don't live so close and it's hard to take off work to come check it out. I also have a bunch of kids (who dont love travel) to bring along.
I'm appreciating all info and will share with DH.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:58 pm
Busy as a bee wrote:
Happy to talk to you about the neighborhoods and more if you'd like to PM me Very Happy

Thank you! Iyh will!

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:27 pm
Op- I definitely hear what you are saying about it being hard to get a feel.
Let's backtrack.. do you have friends or family here? Job opportunities?
What is making you think that you do want to live in Baltimore?
If you have enough things pulling you I would say rent a house for a year and then you'll see..
I just did this.. rented for a while.. Bh working out so I bought a house.
I found that living here for 1-2 years you see if your husband can find a rav/shul, kids are happy in school etc..
I am so glad I didn't buy a house right off the bat bec I was able to figure out neighborhoods much better by living here and getting to know ppl.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:58 pm
If you have boys, would they go to TI or TA? I think the Park Heights yeshivish area predominantly sends to TI. Everywhere else it's a mix.

Would you consider renting for a year?

I can put you in touch with a wonderful real estate agent, if you'd like.

I live in the 7 Mile area. It's a great mix of people but the drawback is that on my immediate block, most families are older than us, so DD6 doesn't have friends to play with right nearby.

Feel free to PM, I don't know everything but I'm here 14 years.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 3:22 pm
I live in the Cheswolde neighborhood. The past few years have seen a huge demographic shift here as young frum families have moved into the neighborhood. Hashkafically it's a big mix.

Also, there are some newer schools popping up. There's Toras Chaim and Toras Simcha. My grandchildren go to the Darchei Noam Montessori, which goes up through grade 6. And maybe there are a few others I haven't heard about yet.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 3:35 pm
If you are looking for a safer area stick with greenspring. That means Pickwick, Ranchleigh, Indian Village, Summit Park, and certain areas in Cheswold near Shomrei.

Park Heights is more yeshivish but closer to the dangerous area. Greenspring is a mix.

There is also the Seven Mile area which is probably more safe than park heights and less safe than greenspring.

There are city and county homes. In the city the houses are cheaper but taxes are higher. County houses are generally more expensive but taxes are much less. If you want a brand new house and can spend 600k then go for a Beazer home or a fixed up Ranchlei house. The shuls around there are Rabbi Eichenstein and Rabbi Seideman. If you want to spend less ( in the 300s) go for a house in Indian village or summit park. The summit park houses are bigger but Indian village is closer to shuls. Pickwick area goes in the 400 so that would be middle of the road price wise.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:43 am
In terms of your concern of fitting in with neighbors similar to your husband, the Pickwick and Meadowood neighborhoods would be most suited. You should also consider Ranchleigh but it is a bigger mix. Beazer as well.

I am not mentioning Park Heights because of your concern of crime.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:39 am
I grew up in Baltimore, moved away for almost 13 years when I got married, and moved back 5 years ago. Baltimore is a unique city, that although it does have crime, has something I've never seen elsewhere. No matter your hashkafa, you are accepted. Nobody cares what you wear or where your kids go to school. The community is strong on unity and achdus. We daven at R' Heber and the entire shul leaves for one hakafa on Simchas Torah night to go to the sefardi shul and they come to us for one hakafa during the day. The unity is not unique to one shul, but to the whole city.
In terms of crime. I live in the Park Heights area. I was told by a friend who teaches in the public schools that the kids told her that they do more crime in the other areas because people think they are safer there and pay less attention to their surroundings. Whereas the people in the park heights area are more vigilant to their surroundings. I'm just saying what the kids themselves said.
It used to be that the park heights area was more yeshivish/heimish and greenspring more modern. It's not like that anymore at all. Both areas are very mixed. Though the park heights are is significantly cheaper. We bought our very large semi (4 floors with 5 bedrooms and potential for 2 more) for a drop over $200k 3 years ago. I absolutely love the area and would never move to greenspring, ranchleigh, etc.
It is true that many boys go to TI from the park heights area, but there are plenty (mine included) that go to TA. There is a new boys school called Toras Simcha that I hear is very popular.
I would agree with the others -to come and rent for a year or so, to see if you like the community as a whole and which neighborhood. (PS there is a large house across the street from me currently for rent)
Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating