Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dryer taking longer

tsc3

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:50 pm
Our dryer is 5 years old and lately I've been noticing that it takes significantly longer to dry loads of laundry. Any ideas?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:53 pm
When did you last clean the vent? That's usually the problem. If it's a gas dryer, you may have trouble with the gas supply..

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:54 pm
Clean out the lint trap and clean out the vent. Are the clothes coming out of the washing machine more damp.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:56 pm
tsc3 wrote:
Our dryer is 5 years old and lately I've been noticing that it takes significantly longer to dry loads of laundry. Any ideas?

Hire someone to clean out the vents.
And then maintain it and remove lint often besides.

tsc3

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:03 pm
I clean the lint before every load. How do u clean the vent?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:13 pm
There's a big silver pipe at the back of the dryer that goes to the outside of the house. If you are mildly handy, unplug the dryer, then disconnect the pipe and clean it. If it's very long or hard to disconnect, hire a handyman. As a safety matter, vents should be cleaned twice a year.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:13 pm
How to clean your dryer vent: https://www.thespruce.com/clea.....24761

Lint is extremely flammable and lint-filled dryer vents are a fire hazard. I am aware of someone whose home burned down from a fire that started in the dryer vent.

tsc3

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:25 pm
Thanks everyone!

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:52 pm
Clean the vent!! Just read a news article about a house fire that killed family members due to a clogged vent.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:50 pm
Don't mind that I'm just repeating what everyone is saying, but it so important so here I go: CLEAN THE VENT. Hire a professional if you need to. I slow dryer is usually because of the vent.

mom!

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:08 pm
I had the same thing and was told by my repairman that its dryer sheets that are causing it. Even after you clean the vent, you may not realize (and most probably wont) but there is a lot more stuff stuck in there from dryer sheets. It was recommended to me to stop using them.

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:10 pm
Take out the lint filter. Run it under water. Is water pooling on it and not running through the mesh? Thats a problem I learned about a while ago and forgot until mom! (poster above me) mentioned it.
Wash lint filter well and check occasionally. Gonna go do that myself now too.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:46 pm
Something can actually be stuck in that venting pipe in the back. We had a birds nest in our last year.

baltomom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:01 pm
We've had lint filling the dryer vent outside the house. Cleaning that out made the dryer work much more efficiently.

aliavi

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:39 pm
Your heating element may be going out. If you ask a repair person to client the venting, ask that they bring a new heating element. I think when ours was replaced several years ago it was less than $30 for the part.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics