Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Amtrak to Connecticut

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:42 pm
Has anyone ever taken an Amtrak to/from Connecticut to NYC? I am thinking of going there fro the summer with my family but would need to travel in for work. It isn't cheap but seems the most efficient way of traveling. Someone said it is dangerous, though. Anyone know anyone who has taken it?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:48 pm
I've taken it. Not sure why you would think it's dangerous? Where in CT are you going? It might make sense to also look at taking the metro North transfer to the Shoreline East. That was way cheaper for me when I wanted to go deeper into CT.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
I've taken it. Not sure why you would think it's dangerous? Where in CT are you going? It might make sense to also look at taking the metro North transfer to the Shoreline East. That was way cheaper for me when I wanted to go deeper into CT.

I would go from Penn Station to Wallingford, near Durham. My brother went to Waterbury yeshiva and said the boys there, not the tamest bunch, avoided it because it went through bad neighborhoods. He said he heard of people taking knives with them if they were traveling alone.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:52 pm
And I would not take Metro North because it would require an additional transfer to get to it, and then a shuttle and a 10 minute walk from the station. I'd save $10 each way but lose an hour.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:43 am
We live in CT and my teenage daughters take metronorth from Bridgeport to grand central practically on a weekly basis, as do all the other kids who go to touro or other schools in NY. There's never been an issue. The conductors even know them by now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics