Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Have you seen a kiddush hashem today?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 03 2010, 1:51 pm
At my childrens school today, I was very impressed with this 12, 13 yr old girl. She was on her way into the bathroom and this elderly lady asked her where the elevator was. Instead of just pointing it out to her because it wasn't far and in pointing distance (I would have done that), she started walking her towards it to show her. She didn't end up because the lady said she sees it.

Have you seen anyone do a kiddush hashem today?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 8:23 pm
I see plenty of kiddushei Hashem every day. Some of them aren't as obvious, but all the mitzvos I see done are definitely mekadesh His name...kind of like being aware of hashgacha pratis. You don't need major stories that are good to tell over. If you try to make a point out of seeing at least one thing a day, you'll find them. Smile I think it's all about perspective...

That girl has exemplary middos. Kudos to those who have raised and educated her!

louche

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 10:08 pm
Where my community excels--well, to be honest, where all frum jewish communities excel--is in hachnssat orchim. So many BT's, gerim, and on-their-way-to-becoming-gerim have told me how deeply impressed they are that total strangers invite them for Shabbat and YT meals or even to sleep over, and this was something they never expected. Ours is a community of small dwellings and tiny apartments, but nearly everyone has a folding table stashed in a closet, and some sort of accommodation for an overnight guest, be it a foldout couch in the living room or a camp cot in the kids' room.

Hospitality in nonjewish communities seems to mean entertaining your social set in a lavish manner, but does not extend to people you don't know. Hachnassat orchim is something entirely different. Mi keamcha.

sneakermom

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 10:26 pm
I saw the macabeats today and thought they made a nice Kiddush Hashem.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 10:13 am
I'm bumping this because I'm tired of how a chillul hashem is louder then a kiddush hashem. Please post a kiddush hashem, so we can tip the scale.

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 11:56 am
The kiddush hashem I've been seeing the last few weeks is:

a young BT family in our community just had their 4th child. I think the oldest is 5 or 6. The mother suffered major complications following childbirth and the community has come together to provide her with several weeks worth of meals, childcare, and some new furniture.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 12:21 pm
I was at a religious store last week and purchasing something heavy. There was horrible weather outside, rainy and windy. I was waiting for the store owner to help me carry out the item to my car when another frum female customer (in a sheitel and all that) that I have never met before in my life offered to help me carry out the item. I really do not think that that would have happened in a similar situation in a non frum owned store.

Maybe that lady is on imamother, if you are THANK YOU!

ora_43

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 4:41 pm
Jews around the world, but mostly in Canada, gave 150,000 euros (now what is that in shekels? dunno) pretty much overnight, to save two people hurt in the fire here: http://www.israelnationalnews......41031
one of the men killed in the fire had escaped, but ran back to help a friend who was stuck and saved her life.

More local - my kids' babysitter always has a spot for a kid from a family that needs babysitting but can't afford to pay for it.

I got sick last week and one person I know gave my kid a ride to gan on almost zero notice, while another took some of my stuff in her car so I could get home from the doctor more easily. these are people I sort of know, but not friends, just nice people.

my neighbor always offers to help pick people up at the airport, if he hears you have family coming he'll do whatever he can to help out with pickup or drop off - and he works 12 hour days and gets little enough sleep as it is.

these same neighbors opened their house to a woman and her kids during a divorce, they were living in the house for a few months.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:05 pm
There are a few threads about a kiddush hashem when I searched it, but since I started this one, I'll add to this one. As a side note, when I posted this originally, chit chat could be anon.

My waxing lady who is Armenian and not jewish went home for the holidays. Since there are no direct flights to Armenia, she took one with a stopover to Italy. She told me that on her flight there were a lot of jews as well using it on their way to Israel because there's also no direct flight to there. She went with her 2 year old and without her dh. She said that her ds was getting antsy and couldn't sit and was crying. One of the jewish woman on the flight helped her calm him down and I don't know if it was the same person, but someone lent her a doll from their child. It made me proud even though I have absolutely nothing to do with it! Very Happy

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:20 pm
I see the same one every day. There's this bus stop of a certain chassidish cheder that every single day, every time I look, the boys are waiting nicely in a line form waiting for the bus. No shoving, pushing, fighting, yelling, and it's going on for years. I'm assuming they really trained them well. So even if I'm chassidishe, I still look at it like a real Kiddush Hashem, every single day.

mfb

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:47 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I see the same one every day. There's this bus stop of a certain chassidish cheder that every single day, every time I look, the boys are waiting nicely in a line form waiting for the bus. No shoving, pushing, fighting, yelling, and it's going on for years. I'm assuming they really trained them well. So even if I'm chassidishe, I still look at it like a real Kiddush Hashem, every single day.

Please let us know which cheder? That’s amazing!

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:56 pm
mfb wrote:
Please let us know which cheder? That’s amazing!

I don't mean to to be ungracious with your request.
However,
This is in Monsey.
Do you really think that I am going to state the name of that Cheder? You're going to have 150 responses that bash that cheder for other things. And then you'll have : Just because the boys wait nicely, does this give them the right to do A B C D?

You get the gist.

It's not such a good idea I'm sure that you understand why.

This thread is supposed to be a Kiddush Hashem! Smile

However, this particular aspect of it makes me so proud every single time.

LittleMissMama

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:13 pm
My son makes a kiddush hashem every single day of his life. He is the only kippah wearing frum jew in his special needs school. He is polite, respectful, kind and hard working. Not only that, his teacher lets the kids make requests for group projects and she told me most of the kids consistently ask for him because he's so likable and such a good team player. (side note, he's lucky that he goes to such an inclusive school where the kids don't seem to see religion, class or race)

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:59 pm
My sister.
Just today, she has seen a lost Jewish soul drowning. Some big people known in that field didn't bother to extend a hand even when my sister called them up!

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 3:03 pm
It posted before finishing....
She didn't give up. And she tried again and again. Until she felt confident she gave this woman the support and recources she so desperately needed.

And a huge shout out to shalom task force.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics