Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Where to get probiotic BLIS k-12 to prevent strep?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 8:25 am
I've been reading about how this is effective for preventing recurring strep, among other benefits. My kids seem to get strep a lot and I want to try this.

The issue is that we hold that kashrus is an issue when it comes to things like the flavored chewables they sell for kids. I can't find a certified kosher kid's chewable. My kids can't swallow pills/tablets yet. And I can't find an unflavored powder. I THOUGHT I found an unflavored powder but then when I clicked on "buy now" it took me to a website that only had tablets.

I found this which doesn't have any glaringly unkosher ingredients but I'm still wary. I emailed the OU asking if it's ok to use it, explaining why I wanted this specific ingredient. They just sent me back a long list of certified kosher probiotic products. I actually went and looked up each one just to be thorough, and sure enough not one has this specific one that is the only one really demonstrated to work against strep infections.

It's funny because I actually first heard about it in a frum magazine...

Any leads?

Last edited by seeker on Sun, Dec 03 2017, 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 8:40 am
I don't know anything about this probiotic but when we had to give specific adult strength priobiotic we would open a capsule and pour the granules onto a spoon of applesauce and then top with some more applesauce. We did this for years.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 9:13 am
Yes, if I could find a capsule with powder in it that would be fine. But I have not found one with this strain yet.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 9:21 am
I have a clue:
I contacted a doctor who was quoted in that magazine. Her nurse said that Dr Sisser in Williamsburg researched this and found a kosher product and brought it into Williamsburg. However, she does not know what it is called or where in Williamsburg it is sold. So I called the number I found online for Dr. Sisser but she's not in today. I left a general message. Then I called Remedies because it's the only pharmacy I know in Williamsburg, plus it's big, plus it's right near Sisser's office - I figured if the product is being sold in Williamsburg they should know about it. But they had no idea what I was talking about. Dead end there.

Next lead?

yogabird

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 9:38 am
What strain is it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:40 am
seeker wrote:
I have a clue:
I contacted a doctor who was quoted in that magazine. Her nurse said that Dr Sisser in Williamsburg researched this and found a kosher product and brought it into Williamsburg. However, she does not know what it is called or where in Williamsburg it is sold. So I called the number I found online for Dr. Sisser but she's not in today. I left a general message. Then I called Remedies because it's the only pharmacy I know in Williamsburg, plus it's big, plus it's right near Sisser's office - I figured if the product is being sold in Williamsburg they should know about it. But they had no idea what I was talking about. Dead end there.

Next lead?

Try Sage Health Food in Williamsburg. They have locations all over.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:45 am
BLIS K-12 is the name of the strain. S. Salivarius BLIS K-12.

I'll try Sage, thanks.

Found out that the product is called Bio-Blis and it comes in lozenge form but the link I got is from Israel and charges $$$$ to ship to US.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:47 am
seeker, if you've found a children's chewable version (even without hechsher, as many people hold vitamins are ok) can you post information here?

yogabird

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:55 am
Don't know if this info will help, but BLIS seems to be a patented formulation of the bacteria s salivarius K12. It's actually a strain of strep.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:30 am
Just realized I left out the link that I meant to post in OP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

I am not makpid on having a hechsher IF the ingredients can be determined to be OK. Like if it's certified vegan or if the company can verify the sources. Or if someone I know in kashrus says it's OK. But I wasn't able to find any info on this.

morningsickness

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:36 am
We use BIO BLISS regularly with great results. Dh used to get strep that required antibiotics a few times a year. Now that he is taking the pro-biotics regularly, he gets sick about once a year.

We live in Israel. The product we buy is Kosher and is produced by a company called "sup-herb". It can be found in any drugstore or natural goods store.

It's a sucking candy.

Last edited by morningsickness on Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:51 am
seeker wrote:
Just realized I left out the link that I meant to post in OP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

I am not makpid on having a hechsher IF the ingredients can be determined to be OK. Like if it's certified vegan or if the company can verify the sources. Or if someone I know in kashrus says it's OK. But I wasn't able to find any info on this.

Thanks! If during your research you came across a potent product for adults (I see it's used for sinus health as well) I'd be most appreciative if you could share.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:12 pm
I use Dr. sisser for my children's pediatric care. She recommended bliss k-12 from Nature's Trove that has a hechsher and is best tasting but, since she has encouraged her patients to use it, all pharmacies in Williamsburg and Amazon were out of it last time I checked. If u can find it anywhere else, please let me know.
Her second choice of good tasting with a hechsher was bio bliss from Supherb. Also low in stock but you can probably still find it.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:09 pm
bumping this up to see if anyone's found a blisk12 product that has no dairy ingredients and no dairy equipment either? all the ones I've found kosher certified say dairy on them

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
bumping this up to see if anyone's found a blisk12 product that has no dairy ingredients and no dairy equipment either? all the ones I've found kosher certified say dairy on them

Call the OU. It doesn't list dairy ingredients and I believe it's parve. The OU sometimes writes D if they make it in a facility that also manufactures dairy.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Call the OU. It doesn't list dairy ingredients and I believe it's parve. The OU sometimes writes D if they make it in a facility that also manufactures dairy.
which one are you referring to? I ordered one made by pur nutraeuticals, it has an ok and dairy equipment, I called them up and they said it's probably dairy because equipment wasn't kashered plus cholov stam. Now I know I can ask our lor and it might still be okay but I'd like to find one that good to go.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
which one are you referring to? I ordered one made by pur nutraeuticals, it has an ok and dairy equipment, I called them up and they said it's probably dairy because equipment wasn't kashered plus cholov stam. Now I know I can ask our lor and it might still be okay but I'd like to find one that good to go.

Mars Wellness 40mg Oral Probiotic BLIS-K12 4 Billion CFU in strawberry flavor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....1c1d9

imamom7

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 6:31 pm
Have you seen that this probiotic helps with strep prevention?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 6:44 pm
Interestingly enough dr sisser recently recommended this for my pandas kid. She said it doesn’t need a hechsher when it gets to a certain point in the symptoms, she spoke to a major kashrus rav about this. But obviously ask your own shayla.
She said to get it only on amazon (the blue box specifically) because if you bring it into Williamsburg it’ll drive up the price.
We love dr sisser btw.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 6:46 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Interestingly enough dr sisser recently recommended this for my pandas kid. She said it doesn’t need a hechsher when it gets to a certain point in the symptoms, she spoke to a major kashrus rav about this. But obviously ask your own shayla.
She said to get it only on amazon (the blue box specifically) because if you bring it into Williamsburg it’ll drive up the price.
We love dr sisser btw.

Which blue box? Please post link.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics