Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would u work only for benefits?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:51 pm
Does it make sense to take job for its benefits?
Mother of young growing family. Desperate for health insurance for myself/husband. Children are on child health plus. Husband and I have insurance through NY state of health but it’s an horrible plan.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:53 pm
Depends how good the health plan is. In some cases it provides a value over 12,000 dollars.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:54 pm
I have a friend that works JUST for the insurance. So yes, there are people that do that. Just make sure before you agree to employment that you understand the benefits of the plan. Confirm the copayments, co insurance and all that, so you don't get mislead by assumptions.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 1:03 pm
Yes! Unless childcare costs are more than value of benefits. Health insurance is so expensive. Benefits can be worth a third of the salary. It’s not just health, vision and dental insurance, there’s also pension, vacation, sick and holiday pay, possibly others like flexible spending accounts for health and child care, discounts on life insurance, home and auto insurance, plus social security credits. Plus you’re in the workforce so you stay current and will have a job when your youngest starts school. Otherwise you’re starting from scratch after having been out of the workforce for a long time.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 1:04 pm
Yes absolutely. My health insurance is worth untold thousands

groovy1224

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
Does it make sense to take job for its benefits?
Mother of young growing family. Desperate for health insurance for myself/husband. Children are on child health plus. Husband and I have insurance through NY state of health but it’s an horrible plan.

no one can answer this for you, you have to crunch the numbers.

Working has it's own expenses, the most obvious being childcare and travel. But there are often hidden expenses too, like maybe takeout for when you can't make dinner and/or cleaning help. Add up your salary and the value of the benefits offered, and see if you still com out ahead after deducting those expenses.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:13 pm
Yes, because healthcare debt is a major cause of bankruptcy in the US. I know someone who worked at Starbucks for the benefits when her husband wasn't getting insurance through work.

Alternatively, you could make aliya and take advantage of a wonderful low-cost system.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, because healthcare debt is a major cause of bankruptcy in the US. I know someone who worked at Starbucks for the benefits when her husband wasn't getting insurance through work.

Alternatively, you could make aliya and take advantage of a wonderful low-cost system.

?????

My son made Aliyah

Whenever it's something more than a cold or the sniffles he is back here

Last year he was waiting 6 months for an endoscopy
Finally he came home for pesach
We took him to Chemed and he had the endoscopy and GI series done the same day

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:28 pm
Yes I'm planning to. I still make $ now but once I have more children most of my salary will be spent on childcare for a while. This is worth it to me because
A. I have good benefits, and those are worth a lot,
B. I remain current in my field, which I enjoy and plan to stay in longterm, and
C. I increase my salary potential by staying in the workforce at my job.
You have to decide if it's worth it to you, but it sounds like you need the insurance, so it may be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics