Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning new house

westchestermom

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:08 pm
We may be moving in a month and a half, and our realtor recommended her cleaning lady for an initial scrubbing out of the new place. I've never, and my extended family have never used cleaning help or cleaning services even though they could have afforded it. Should I? Will she do anything special I don't do? The floors need to be refinished/carpets shampooed so it would be mostly cabinets and windows I guess? I will be in my second trimester but I have a vacation week after the move.

levlongnprosper

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:10 pm
Sh probably won't do anything you wouldn't do if you usually do a deed clean anyways but her doing it saves your time, energy, and stress levels. It's all about what you value and prioritize.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:12 pm
I would take a cleaning crew for a new house.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:13 pm
I would do it if it was in the budget. Moving is very stressful and I like to outsource whatever is easy enough for others to do.

precious

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:14 pm
Don't you want to clean it before bringing in all your furniture and belongings?

westchestermom

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:46 pm
That's what I mean, a deep clean before moving in. I just don't know if a cleaning lady will do a better job. My mom offered to help. And we will obviously have lots of other expenses. We'll have a 2 week window to move so I can clean when the kids are in school on my days off while my husband shampoos the carpets and moves boxes.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:48 pm
westchestermom wrote:
We may be moving in a month and a half, and our realtor recommended her cleaning lady for an initial scrubbing out of the new place. I've never, and my extended family have never used cleaning help or cleaning services even though they could have afforded it. Should I? Will she do anything special I don't do? The floors need to be refinished/carpets shampooed so it would be mostly cabinets and windows I guess? I will be in my second trimester but I have a vacation week after the move.

Sounds suspicious...obviously there’s something in it for the realtor. If you need cleaning help, get your own people.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:59 pm
westchestermom wrote:
That's what I mean, a deep clean before moving in. I just don't know if a cleaning lady will do a better job. My mom offered to help. And we will obviously have lots of other expenses. We'll have a 2 week window to move so I can clean when the kids are in school on my days off while my husband shampoos the carpets and moves boxes.

If you have the time and energy to clean it while packing up also, go for it! Of course you'll do a great job. It's just a matter of outsourcing if somebody needs that.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:28 pm
I did it myself but really didn't realize how bad it was initially. The refrigerator alone took an entire day. I don't think the previous owners cleaned their major appliances ever. It was gross.
The rest of the house was easy because the rooms were empty. The floors were swept but I only washed them After the move since the movers tracked in snow and salt (we moved on the winter ) The bathrooms were actually nice and clean but I scrubbed them down anyway.

westchestermom

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:24 pm
We've been back several times for inspections and I scoped out the appliances and inside cabinets and closets once they were emptied. Its not bad at all. There's one musty pantry that will only get better with painting, but otherwise nothing is horrible.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:25 pm
westchestermom wrote:
We've been back several times for inspections and I scoped out the appliances and inside cabinets and closets once they were emptied. Its not bad at all. There's one musty pantry that will only get better with painting, but otherwise nothing is horrible.

If you are physically up to it then you would do a better job than the cleaning lady

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:05 pm
My mother used to be an apartment manager. While they officially had a cleaning lady, my sister and I often found ourselves part of the work crew. :S

Getting an apartment ready for a new tenant is a lot of work. It's not your standard cleaning.
Think Pesach cleaning, minus the THINGS.
It's really deep scrubbing.
A "make ready" used to take me, my sister and mother or cleaning lady about 5 hours.

It just depends on how much energy you have and how deeply you want it done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry