Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Can I Do This or Will it Flop?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:54 am
I have flour that I wanted to use today and figured I'd bake a batch of challah. However I don't have any challah pans or loaf pans. Would it be ok if I put two challahs side by side in a 9x13 pan instead? Or will it turn into one mass and flop? I also have bundt pans ir 9" round pans that are not very deep? Can I use any??? Any ideas? I'm inable to get any pans from a store or neighbor .

yersp

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:57 am
What if you build a wall with silver foil down the middle of the 9x13 and put a challah on each side? Just don't forget to spray it with oil spray so nothing sticks

EMEN

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:17 am
9" round pans sound good. It's what I use for Rosh Hashana challahs.

monkeys

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:19 am
I often bake challahs on cookie sheets. Just leave enough room between them so that they can rise.
Is your dough very sticky?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:20 am
Don't use the 9 x 13 alone. It will stick. Put up a wall like the other op suggested. If you're not particular about the height, maybe bake it in a cookie sheet, it'll spread the other way though. G'luck

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:31 am
I like the way bundt pans look, they're very pretty.

You can take foil and oil it well, and then form it into a "boat" to put the challah in. By folding it up all the way around (but not over the top), it will hold the loaf shape.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:34 am
Ok. Thanks guys. I'll experiment.

headabovewater

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:59 am
Use a round pan. I do it all the time. Here's a link for a round challah braid.

https://youtu.be/dj8tuQ1RojM

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:08 am
I always bake challah on parchment-lined baking sheets. They’re delicious. They do not, however, present a high profile like bakery challahs. I can live with that.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:11 am
I only bake on cookie sheets just make sure there's three inches of space in between and they're unlikely to touch each other

hodeez

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:13 am
Same here always bake on cookie sheets with some space apart

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:20 am
I have beautiful challahs, always on baking sheets with enough space in between.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:47 am
zaq wrote:
I always bake challah on parchment-lined baking sheets. They’re delicious. They do not, however, present a high profile like bakery challahs. I can live with that.

ditto. I don't like challa baked in "challa" pans. I like the shiny sides. Smile

I must be doing something right because I get tons of compliments on my challah.

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:11 am
zaq wrote:

Actually bakeries use large cookie sheets, not individual challah pans - at least the ones I've seen bringing out challahs straight on the pan. They make so many, can you imagine how many challah pans they'd need?
Thunderstorm, challah pans only came into being in the last couple of decades. Before that everyone used large cookie sheets or the like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads