Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is my newborn sleeping too much?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 2:49 pm
She’s 10 days old kah. She sleeps most of the day and I usually wake her to eat. Sometimes she’ll wake on her own. She eats 2.5 oz every 2.5 to 3 hours and sometimes 4 hours at night. She was born 3 weeks early if that makes a difference...

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 2:51 pm
Sounds textbook.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 2:53 pm
If you need to wake her to eat most of the time, I would check it out.
Does she cry?

ahuva06

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
If you need to wake her to eat most of the time, I would check it out.
Does she cry?

My newborns rarely cried and didn't always wake for food. Trust me they make up for it when they get older. Never worried and glad I didn't!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:26 pm
One of my kids was also born three weeks early and also was very sleepy for the first three weeks and couldn't even stay awake during the feeding.
I always say how he literally was like an embryo for the first 3 weeks until around his due date and then started acting like a real baby.
Wouldnt worry, as long as you make sure your baby eats and has regular diapers you're fine.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:27 pm
2.5 oz fora newborn, especially a small one is a lot.
She’s content food wise so she’s sleepy.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:28 pm
Whenever I woke my babies, they didn’t eat as well. They slept 3+hrs on their own then nursed well. There is usually a longer stretch somewhere, make sure it happens at night.

forgetit

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:48 pm
I'd be totally ok with this.'[

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:49 pm
Enjoy this stage while it lasts Smile

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:56 pm
as long as she is eating enough and gaining weight I wouldn't worry. however if she isn't gaining you should wake her up to feed her.
my sister's newborn baby slept all the time and through the night, and she enjoyed the long stretches, until at 2 months old she realized the baby was the same weight as when she was born and hadnt grown. the baby wasn't eating enough to grow. she had a very hard time getting the baby to eat more and grow.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:23 pm
Since she was born early it really makes sense. Wait a few weeks and you won’t have this issue anymore. Trust me!

Oops

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:33 pm
I was told that until the baby weighs 3 Kilo he should eat every 3 hours. Once he/she pass that weight, they should sleep longer and wake on their own when hungry.
I found that very true with my babies, who were all small.

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:33 pm
If baby is gaining it should be okay. But ask your ped. I go to a group and they all know me because I'm always there- not because kids necessarily sick- but because I have questions.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 6:13 pm
I found that my babies that were born early were more sleepy first few weeks. If weight & size is not concern then don't need to wake for feedings. obviously don't let them sleep for 6 hours during day without food.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 7:42 am
See the growing and weight curves

STMommy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 8:46 am
my baby was also born a couple of weeks early - same issues - lactation consultant gave the same advice you're getting here - totally normal and your baby will have more wakefulness when a little older.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics