Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Which is a Safe cheap car?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:28 pm
We have one car a Honda Civic 2016 on a lease. We are planning to buy the lease when it ends soon. I love this car. It has a lot of safety features. We need another car but I can’t buy an old car without the backup camera and all the other safety features that practically saved idk exactly from what but for sure it did. What do you recommend?

aliavi

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:50 pm
In snow? Subaru

Ridethewaves

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:55 pm
Also most cars can have a backup camera installed for under $200. You can get a stripped car and have features added on for cheap.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:11 am
aliavi wrote:
In snow? Subaru

No snow

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:12 am
Ridethewaves wrote:
Also most cars can have a backup camera installed for under $200. You can get a stripped car and have features added on for cheap.

What about all the extra stuff that make the drive safer? Before the civic I had an old car. Now I can’t believe I drove the old car without all the ssfey features. Like I can’t imagine that we lived without a computer.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:41 am
Dh said you can’t add all the safety features and the backup camera that you add is not that good.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
What about all the extra stuff that make the drive safer? Before the civic I had an old car. Now I can’t believe I drove the old car without all the ssfey features. Like I can’t imagine that we lived without a computer.

What safety features are you specifically looking for? Just get another Civic if you like it. You can buy one off lease so it's a couple of years old with the features you want.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:43 am
Honda or Toyota. Both are cars with excellent safety records.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:05 am
A backup camera is a standard feature in any Honda manufactured after 2015. So it's not something you need to specifically look for if you are buying a Honda of that year or later. (Other car manufacturers adopted similar rules, you can look up a specific brands)

Other options include a blind spot monitor, lane drift warning (or something like that), forward collision warning, rear traffic alert, parking assist, and more. Some cars even have a forward camera in addition to the backup camera. But of course, the price goes up with each option.

Personally, the features I find the most useful (besides the backup camera, but again, that's basic now) are the rear traffic alert because that tells me when there's cross traffic about to cross behind me that I can't even see yet) and the blind spot monitor. A lot of people find it annoying, but since I drive a larger car (minivan) with a relatively large blind spot, I like the peace of mind it affords me, especially in low visibility situations like rain or snow.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:15 am
groovy1224 wrote:
A backup camera is a standard feature in any Honda manufactured after 2015. So it's not something you need to specifically look for if you are buying a Honda of that year or later. (Other car manufacturers adopted similar rules, you can look up a specific brands)

Other options include a blind spot monitor, lane drift warning (or something like that), forward collision warning, rear traffic alert, parking assist, and more. Some cars even have a forward camera in addition to the backup camera. But of course, the price goes up with each option.

Personally, the features I find the most useful (besides the backup camera, but again, that's basic now) are the rear traffic alert because that tells me when there's cross traffic about to cross behind me that I can't even see yet) and the blind spot monitor. A lot of people find it annoying, but since I drive a larger car (minivan) with a relatively large blind spot, I like the peace of mind it affords me, especially in low visibility situations like rain or snow.

Yes these are the features especially dh is talking about cross traffic which most cars don’t have. For me even stuff like that the car beeps when you leave without turning it off after closing the door:) or other important stuff connected to real safety because I’m sometimes distracted and forgetful.
Dh said now they have front cross traffic

And also pedestrian detection
And the car breaks for you if you are about to crash

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
What safety features are you specifically looking for? Just get another Civic if you like it. You can buy one off lease so it's a couple of years old with the features you want.

And now I’m reathinking even that. Because the technology is changing so fast that buying a car is like buying a computer that in few years it’s too old and not up to date.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:58 am
Dh is waiting for the new Mazda 3. He wants to see what’s the lease price is going to be. But I think he might be just fantasizing about a new fancy car that we can’t afford

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:42 pm
I just got the 2019 sienna this week and I love it. I had the Odyssey before but I need AWD.
Dh added a backup camera to a car he had and it worked well.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
And now I’m reathinking even that. Because the technology is changing so fast that buying a car is like buying a computer that in few years it’s too old and not up to date.

I don't know that all those features make a car significantly safer. They add convenience, but if you're a safe driver and you maintain your car, you'll really be fine without every last new feature. Most cars on the road are more than a few years old.

meyerlemon44

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:42 pm
I bought a very lightly used '06 Nissan Altima and spent a few hundred dollars on updates, like a radio with Apple CarPlay and a camera. It saved me thousands. (It helps that my husband knows everything about cars and could guide me in the process, because I don't know anything in this area!)

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 5:05 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
I bought a very lightly used '06 Nissan Altima and spent a few hundred dollars on updates, like a radio with Apple CarPlay and a camera. It saved me thousands. (It helps that my husband knows everything about cars and could guide me in the process, because I don't know anything in this area!)

I don't know if I would take car-buying advice from someone named lemon. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics