Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Dieting on Shabbos
1  2  Next

cat3

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:48 am
I just started a new diet. Looking for advice on how to successfully diet on shabbos. In the past, I've dieted well during the week, gained it back on shabbos, and then given up. I really need to lose weight. How do you do it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by cat3 on Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

STMommy

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:00 am
Yes dieting on Shabbos is hard. When I did weight watchers years ago, I had to use my minimum number of points the other six days a week and then be careful on Shabbos. I didn't use Shabbos as an excuse to pig out - I took one bite of challah, skipped dessert, made a lot of vegetables, etc. I don't know what the diet involves now as far as points and whatnot.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:30 am
Shabbos is hard for dieting. I'm also on weight watchers and the most important thing for me is to keep track of my points on Shabbos. I use marbles in a bowl but you can use anything. Another thing that helps is eating at home which may or may not be an option for you. We don't go out very often and when I do I eat so many more points. At home I always have a chicken cutlet option and vegetables cooked with spray or minimal oil and sugar. I do splurge on Shabbos but so far, even with yontif I haven't gone over my weekly points.
Good luck to both of us!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:32 am
Shabbos is really hard for diets!

When I'm strong, I eat only matzah, since I wouldn't overeat that like challah.

I try to have a big fruit salad in the fridge at all times, keeps me away from cake.

I should get back to making fruit soup too.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:09 am
I agree, just make sure you have plenty of good food handy so that you don’t give in to hunger and cravings and grab something you shouldn’t. Stick to your plan as well as you can, and if you want to “cheat” a little, have a bite or 2of something you love, but don’t go wild. I agree it’s hard to stick to diets on Shabbat. But it’s not worth undoing all the hard work if an entire week by blowing it on Shabbat! Good luck!

keym

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:16 am
I started making kugels out of cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini. No flour may or sugar. Just pureesd vegies, lots of spices, maybe an egg and a bit of oil.
I could have large amounts, and it feels more shabbosdik and there less depriving than my weekday vegies.
I also splurge on more expensive fruit- out of season summer fruit, melon, mango, etc for dessert.
Also, depending on the specifics of the diet, some foods are really not bad. On weight watchers, plain chicken broth, chicken liver, are fairly low points.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 12:12 pm
If you are by someone else, choose carefully, and take smaller portions. Chew very slowly, so your brain knows that you are getting enough food. If you are still hungry, have a big salad when you get home.

Think about points you could swap out for lower point options during the week, to compensate for any Shabbos treats.

Remember, you only need a kazayis of challah in order to bentch hamotzi. That's the size of a large olive.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 12:15 pm
I eat a bite of challah and TONS of vegetables. Roasted or in a salad. I use Splenda instead of sugar in the dressings, skip the oil. For the roasted vegetables I use cooking spray. If I’m eating out I either don’t eat there or eat the salads and vegetables if there are. ’m not on a diet, this is just the way I usually eat but it might be helpful to you. Vegetables are my favorite food so it may be easier for me but this is what I do.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 12:21 pm
I get the snacks my kids like and only one thing that I like for sweets. I only use small challah rolls and if I serve dips I put out rice cakes with them. I also avoid mayo based dips. I find making kugel to be too time consuming its much easier to just make a large sheet pan of different roasted veggies instead.

Another thing I have been doing lately is that I make a large green salad with protein and I serve it on large plates for lunch. I encourage myself and my kids to eat large plates of salad and then I clear it and bring out cholent. Lots of times I like the salad so much I dont even eat the rest of the meal.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 12:29 pm
I don’t mean to be preachy or anything like that, I understand, I was fat my entire life until about 6/7 years ago when I just made a drastic lifestyle change. Dieting never worked for me but once I just changed the way I ate, it was a lot easier. I’m very rigid in what I eat I don’t eat certain foods and am very strict but as a result I am very thin, which is important to me. I don’t diet, I just live this way and every once in awhile I treat myself. If you alter your lifestyle, which I know is easier said than done, you won’t feel deprived or feel the need to constantly diet.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 1:24 pm
I've been in the same cycle for years. Finally make some progress then shabbos comes and undoes the whole week. Yomtov comes and I don't even break even - I gain a few. I finally got to the point where I just didn't want to deviate from my diet on shabbos/ yomtov at all. Not worth it. I asked a rov who said in light of my being seriously overweight and it affecting not just my health but also my shalom bayis I can absolutely stay on my diet for shabbos. I don't have to wash or have wine or anything at all that would take me off course.

If that's not an option, and I know for many it isn't, then just try to fill up on garden salad with simple dressing as much as possible and eat bare minimum of everything else, trying to keep to "clean" foods. And keep busy to resist noshing out of boredom.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 2:58 pm
cat3 wrote:
I just started a new diet. Looking for advice on how to successfully diet on shabbos. In the past, I've dieted well during the week, gained it back on shabbos, and then given up. I really need to lose weight. How do you do it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Plan and write down what your menu will be on shabbos BEFORE shabbos. Tracking is the biggest weight loss tool. good luck

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:11 pm
You need to know your weeknesses and work around them.
If it’s too much challah, don’t make dips
Make lots and lots of salads and veggie sides
If it’s dessert/treats than make things you can eat like baked apples, berry cobbler, of course with sugar substitue
If it’s nosh in the afternoon like chips make your own radish chips, kale chips, etc.
Minimize temptation.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:04 pm
Started really watching what I eat recently.
I use a small plate for myself and make menus as follows:

Fruit or salad appetizer
1 main protein
1 healthy starch
2-4 + veggy sides (kugels, salads, sautees etc.)

Challahs my weak point so I limit my bread to shabbos and avoid dips.
I also place foods I want to avoid or have less of on the other side of the table so it's an extra step to get it (asking, getting up etc). Shabbos party my hubby takes care of. I don't usually serve dessert or if I do keep it on the other side of the table or make something I'm not really crazy for.

At other houses I fill my plate with veggies first, then fill in the protein, and don't eat until everyone else has started. Desert ask for a small portion of possible (or none, if you can).

Hatzlacha.
Changing shabbos eating is tough in the beginning.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:50 pm
You actually need to eat more then a big bite of challah or the amount that's the size of an olive - it's actually the weight of an olive which is more than you think.

Having said that, I usually lose weight on Shabbos; I'm not that hungry when I'm not running around.

I eat the chicken course by night and the fish course during the day, and I only wash for Hamotzie with the fish. I asked the rov years ago what to do. But ask for yourself.

Belle

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:55 pm
I had the same experience - lost weight, gained it back with Shabbos. Last year I finally went on HCG diet, and was losing good weight steadily. I decided absolutely not to deviate from my diet at all. I didn't wash. I had a sip or two of wine for Kiddush - that didn't seem to affect me at all. I weighed my portions before Shabbos - white meat chicken, and then I had permissible vegetables and/or salad with lemon juice or vinegar. No first course -- we don't even realize anymore that a three course meal is like eating two main courses! I made sure to make food that I enjoyed each Shabbos, so I felt like I was also enjoying Shabbos. It worked! For the first time I lost weight after Shabbos like a regular day, and my weight-loss was not set back. Good luck!

Cheiny

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:57 pm
cat3 wrote:

You really have to try your best to stay on the diet, even on Shabbos, or les you’ll gain weight every week.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 9:59 pm
We eat pretty plainly ( or leftovers) during the week. Shabbat is when we make the special food. It’s completely compliant with our food plan. Just like every day, in amounts, it just tastes more special. We still eat the wAy we do during the week. I do eat more vegetables on Shabbat, because I don’t really eat them during the week. I don’t ever eat challah or matzah. My son eats matzah because it’s easier to stop eating. What I do is how I’ll eat forever though. So there’s always that.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:01 pm
I forgot. When I go out, I take good with me to make sure I have what I can eat. Too bad if anyone is offended.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:26 am
So this is a lot of food for thought. I'm used to working hard all week and treating myself on shabbos. In fact, today treating myself didn't work out and I feel disappointed. I'm afraid if I'm too restrictive of my diet on shabbos, then I'll resent my healthy eating plan during the week?
Or I'm afraid that I'll crave treats during the week if I don't treat myself on shabbos?
You all seem so happy with shabbos dieting that I'm starting to seriously consider it but does anyone understand my concerns? (Sorry I'm not op I hope it's ok to ask this)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise