Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Failed Social Worker Test Twice :-(

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:32 pm
Hi
My sister failed her social worker test twice. Did anyone take it recently who would be willing to tutor her? She is beyond devastated. Testing never came easy to her and I think she needs a tutor to help her buckle down more and another perspective on what she has to know. She is located in Long Island/Queens/Brooklyn. Willing to pay. Thanks so much! She graduated her masters last May.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:56 pm
https://www.amazon.com/ASWB-Ma.....r=8-5

I used this, and only this. It’s important not to get bogged down with loads of extra meterial and fluff and just stick to knowing the basics really well.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:36 pm
Thank you so much!!

proudmom8

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:14 am
I’m so sorry for your sister! How lucky she is to have u, such a caring sister looking to help her!

It’s not about knowing the material as much as knowing HOW to take the test. There are certain things that are always going to be the correct answer, such as seeking supervision. There are certain monikers and tricks to knowing the order that they want the answers and I passed by knowing these. It’s really not about knowing all the material that well. I can look to find the studying material I used that teaches u how to answer the questions and I’ll post back if I find it.

Good luck to ur sister!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:35 am
Wow Thank you for you're advice it makes a lot of sense

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:39 am
Thanks a ton! That makes a lot of sense, there must me a certain code to the answers, is it so hard to crack?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:34 am
Contact Sunny magire - she’s incredible and offers tutoring
TheEthicalDilemma@gmail.com

imasoftov

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
Thanks a ton! That makes a lot of sense, there must me a certain code to the answers, is it so hard to crack?

It seems to me like "knowing how to take the test" is a rather different thing from "cracking the code".

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:30 pm
There is no code to crack on these tests. I just passed my state's licensing tests (not LCSW but similar field with similar test/process). There is no secret or code. No magic wand.
You really just need experience and a working knowledge of the material. How to use the material- not just the facts. E.g.: when to report/is it reportable in the scenario given vs: exact time frames/method in the law. You have to use the material backwards and forwards, parse out specific terms or words... It is not just knowledge but use of it.

Maybe she has test anxiety? Comprehension issues- very possible as the questions are phrased differently on my tests vs how professors tested?
Did she use a program or just studied on her own- maybe she was missing a full section of material?

sevengirl

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 3:41 pm
Also, it’s not so much knowing how to practically do social work - more so knowing what the code of ethics expects you to be doing - doing what you would do in practice might be wrong in regards to the test.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
There is no code to crack on these tests. I just passed my state's licensing tests (not LCSW but similar field with similar test/process). There is no secret or code. No magic wand.
You really just need experience and a working knowledge of the material. How to use the material- not just the facts. E.g.: when to report/is it reportable in the scenario given vs: exact time frames/method in the law. You have to use the material backwards and forwards, parse out specific terms or words... It is not just knowledge but use of it.

Maybe she has test anxiety? Comprehension issues- very possible as the questions are phrased differently on my tests vs how professors tested?
Did she use a program or just studied on her own- maybe she was missing a full section of material?

Actually the social work exam is very theoretical. It's very much "in an ideal world" and has more to do with theory not use. In school they counsel AGAINST practicing the way the exam dictates.

From experience, test taking strategies are the best way to pass the social work exams.

proudmom8

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
Actually the social work exam is very theoretical. It's very much "in an ideal world" and has more to do with theory not use. In school they counsel AGAINST practicing the way the exam dictates.

From experience, test taking strategies are the best way to pass the social work exams.

I agree with this...this is what I meant by knowing how to answer the questions rather than knowing the actual textual material.

It’s not a code to break. It’s understanding the hierarchy of what they want to see. As many questions will be phrased in a way such as “what is the best option in this scenario” or “what should you do first” so they answers are all correct for the scenarios but it’s knowing what’s the BEST one (supervision is always #1) or what’s the FIRST thing (usually assessment) from the choices given.

You need to learn the way to read the questions and the hierarchy of what should be-as stated by above poster-in the ideal world, more so than in practice.

For that, you need study guides that teach you this. Not study guides on the textual material.

Hatzlacha!

amotheranon

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:18 pm
Thanks so much everyone
What are the study guides she should use that are more theoretical than practical ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics