Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Alopecia areata

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 8:57 pm
My young son has a bald spot the size of a quarter on the back of his head, and has just been diagnosed with alopecia areata.

Has anyone had this experience with a child, and NOT had it become alopecia totalis or universalis?
Does anyone have any insight on how to help him in any way?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 9:11 pm
The only thing that helped our family member was shemen zayis zuch from Eretz Yisroel. Hatzlocha!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 9:22 pm
Are you sure it's not a scar from a fall many years ago?
a bunch of my boys have scars that present as bald spots. some are the size of a nickel. I usually give a longer haircut there to try to hide it.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Are you sure it's not a scar from a fall many years ago?
a bunch of my boys have scars that present as bald spots. some are the size of a nickel. I usually give a longer haircut there to try to hide it.

No, it's not. As I said, we have a diagnosis.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 11:30 pm
My three year old daughter has alooecia areata. She was diagnosed about a year ago. Bh the dermatologist says her prognosis looks good. She had a few spots and then the hair grew back there but she developed more spots in different places. The doctor pulled a little in her hair and since it didn’t fall out in his hands, he said that’s a good sign. Also, she still has thick eye lashes bh bli ayan hara. If you have a diagnosis then I’m sure you’re already aware, but I’ll reiterate, the dr said there’s no way to predict the future and know how each case will present itself. With alopecia areata all they know is that it’s an autoimmune disorder but don’t know why it happens or how to stop it. The child could lose all their hair or just spots; lose it once and then never again; have bouts of it every couple years; etc. We’ve used steroid creams but I don’t think it makes a difference. We’re actually going back to the dermatologist next week and see what we want to do next if anything. I like to think that this is Hashems way of reminding us that we should focus on a person’s Inside more than their externals. And I cannot thank hashem enough that if this had to happen to one of my daughters, that it happened to the one who had the personality to handle it. Gd willing your son’s case will be mold and the hair will grow back quickly!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 6:41 am
Thank you so much! Can you post again if you learn anything new at your appointment?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 8:34 am
I’ll try to remember! And if you learn anything new, please let me know as well! I feel like it’s something I don’t want to make a big deal of and don’t want to draw attention to, but I also felt like I had to tell the school and camp about it in case kids say something.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Mar 02 2019, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much! Can you post again if you learn anything new at your appointment?

The doctor told ya that for some reason, zyrtec (the allergy medicine) has shown to help. He said It’s harmless to try so we’re going to for the next few months. Bh bli ayan hara it looks like the topical steroid cream is working so we’re going to stick with that too. There are some other treatment options but a) they can be painful b)they can be expensive c)basically you need to know your kid and know what’s worth trying. I don’t want to draw any more attention to the alopecia spots and don’t want my daughter to have a negative complex about it.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 7:41 am
amother wrote:
The doctor told ya that for some reason, zyrtec (the allergy medicine) has shown to help. He said It’s harmless to try so we’re going to for the next few months. Bh bli ayan hara it looks like the topical steroid cream is working so we’re going to stick wit inh that too. There are some other treatment options but a) they can be painful b)they can be expensive c)basically you need to know your kid and know what’s worth trying. I don’t want to draw any more attention to the alopecia spots and don’t want my daughter to have a negative complex about it.

Thank you for following up. I'm going to look into zyrtec as well.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 2:23 pm
can you share the name of the dr. you used?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 7:41 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
can you share the name of the dr. you used?

Not sure which poster you’re referring to. I live out of town and my daughter has been seeing the head of dermatology at the children’s hospital here. However her insurance changed so I’m not sure who we’re going to be seeing next. To follow up, we stopped the steroid and Zyrtec and now are using a different steroid and a medicated shampoo. In some areas it seems to have gotten worse but the dr said that it’s because it happened in the back by the nape of neck and they don’t know why but that area is always the hardest to treat. I just daven that she continues to take it as it is and not get self conscious or upset over it and please don’t let any kids tease her about it.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:45 pm
any tried and true treatment for alopecia in 8 year old girl?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
any tried and true treatment for alopecia in 8 year old girl?

My 9 year old with alopecia areata was prescribed a liquid steroid to massage into her scalp, followed by rogaine. After a few weeks it worked, her hair regrew...now other spots are appearing though.

Because its an autoimmune disease, ive been researching, and found a lot of stuff on the connection with leaky gut syndrome...likely going to try an auto immune gut healing diet to see of it addresses it

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:15 pm
I would try AIP along with some serious mineral balancing, thyroid and adrenal support.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics