Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Anyone know this meat/dairy halacha?
Previous  1  2

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
I don't know the answer, but I listened to a shiur a while back where the Rov said that when he hears the words "I cut an onion with a fleishig/milchig knife" he always stops and says, "That was your first mistake." (Not trying to pin any blame.) He said we should really get in the habit of only using pareve equipment to cut, especially charif.

I'm curious if he presented that as halacha or advice.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 11:26 am
Did you get a ruling on this? I'm very curious.

I'm a total space cadet sometimes, and this is why my kitchen is super crowded. I have it divided right down the middle, with duplicates of everything, and separate drawers for everything.

I literally have to make my kitchen idiot-proof, to accommodate my ADD tendencies.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 11:45 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm curious if he presented that as halacha or advice.

He definitely did not present it as halacha, but something everyone should get into the practice of doing.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
He definitely did not present it as halacha, but something everyone should get into the practice of doing.

DH (who also cooks) agrees that if we always took out a pareve knife to cut vegetables we'd have more "Rabbi, I cut a hot meat (or dairy) thing with the pareve knife" questions than we've had "I cut an onion with the wrong knife" ones.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:03 pm
Looks like I'm ok because I never used the knife in hot meat. Pretty easy to trace because my cooking methods are so elementary that I don't use knives while cooking, only for prep and serving/eating.

Had my knife been genuinely fleishig then I would have had a problem.

Re the raw onion, yes I was just wondering whether the whole thing was fleishig or what. Frankly I have little use for a fleishig onion right now. I sliced off the top with a properly parve knife and used the rest of it for a brand new omelette today.

chicco

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:42 pm
seeker wrote:
Looks like I'm ok because I never used the knife in hot meat. Pretty easy to trace because my cooking methods are so elementary that I don't use knives while cooking, only for prep and serving/eating.

Had my knife been genuinely fleishig then I would have had a problem.

Re the raw onion, yes I was just wondering whether the whole thing was fleishig or what. Frankly I have little use for a fleishig onion right now. I sliced off the top with a properly parve knife and used the rest of it for a brand new omelette today.

A great example of why we need to ask shailos. A lot of times the Rabbi will ask for more details that will make a big difference.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 5:06 pm
imasoftov wrote:
DH (who also cooks) agrees that if we always took out a pareve knife to cut vegetables we'd have more "Rabbi, I cut a hot meat (or dairy) thing with the pareve knife" questions than we've had "I cut an onion with the wrong knife" ones.

Interesting. We have a fleishig set of knives, but our pareve get much more use. We have just a couple milchig, which rarely get used. The difference is you don't have to ask a shailah with pareve, unless you're going to have it stay that way Wink

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 5:11 pm
seeker wrote:
YES, I sent a message to my LOR. Two of them actually. But no reply yet and I think this is a standard enough type of situation that should be covered in basic halacha, except I'm not very well-versed Sad

I accidentally used a fleishig knife to cut up half of an onion and fried it in a dairy frying pan. The knife and pan were both clean, and neither had been used for meat/dairy respectively for at least a few weeks.

Does anyone know what is the status of:
1. The fried onions
2. The frying pan
3. The remaining half a raw onion

You really need to wait for an answer from a rov on this...onions change the status of everything.,,,

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 11:09 am
Exact same scenario here. Were the actual fried onions okay as well?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 12:02 pm
My fleishig cutting knives also never get used with hot food. I would use a spatula or regular dinner knife to cut something like a meat loaf or a meat pie. I would never use a cutting knife because I would ruin the surface of the pan.

cinnamon

Post Sat, Apr 20 2019, 7:13 pm
imasoftov wrote:

This. My pareve knives only last a few weeks and they I will cut something hot and none pareve with them and they are no longer pareve.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:03 am
cinnamon wrote:
This. My pareve knives only last a few weeks and they I will cut something hot and none pareve with them and they are no longer pareve.

Why.. if you have gas burners
Stick knife in a few minutes and your back to parve
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen