Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Preparing Kids for When Parents Going Away

SleepingBeauty

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:37 am
I'm planning on going away for 2/3 days, for the first time, and I want to prepare my kids. They will be home and/or by friends.

Ages 4-12

How have you effectively prepared your children so they are not anxious?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:39 am
The best way to keep kids calm, is for YOU to be calm. If you act anxious, they will pick up on it.

If you emphasize how much fun they are going to have, they'll be looking forward to the excitement of a change of routine.

Promise to bring them a present when you come back (even if it's something really small.)

Blessing1

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:40 am
The more you talk about it and the bigger of a deal you make, the more anxious they will be.
Keep it simple and tell them "totty and mommy will be going away for afew days and you'll be staying at whoever's house." Don't tell them too much in advance because little kids don't have a concept of time. Send along their blanket and favorite toy/doll...
And promise to bring them back a treat.

baltomom

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:59 am
For younger children (preschool age) I've found it very effective (before telling them that I'm going away) to tell a story about a child whose mommy was going away, that they felt scared, but then they had fun etc and before they knew it mommy was back home! After telling the story (a couple of days before my trip) I told the child that I am going away like so-and-so's mommy in the story. My child asked me to repeat the story a few times and was very calm and did fine when I left.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics