Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Favorite dinner that you received after birth?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
My babies are gassy, colic reflux so please no cabbage, broccolli, eggplant etc that make it worse for baby.
I'm also diabetic so all nice cakes, malted ice cream, blintzes, very nice but not very healthy for me. Makes me feel worse after eating.

In my community there's a section on the meal sign up that describes dietary restrictions so you could put that note in. Do you have that option? Because otherwise it's hard for anyone to know what's bad for you vs a treat. I love eggplant but never prepare it myself because my husband doesn't like it, so someone bringing it would be a treat that I would hog (and give my husband some other food)

debsey

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 5:17 pm
Kid friendly food that I didn't have to get involved with preparing.

meaning, a friend once sent delicious chicken on the bone, with rice and salad and cut up fruit. The problem was, I had to cut up the "bites" for my little kids, and after a C-section, that was a bit difficult.

OTOH, meatballs and spaghetti, homemade breaded chicken fingers with baked cut up veggie sticks, mini chicken drummettes and little red potatoes - those could just be dished out and the kids could handle them themselves.

I always appreciated people who sent along a dessert, so I could have something to motivate my kids to finish eating and clean up the playroom.

One friend sent me a "kid friendly" supper and a much more sophisticated "adults only" meal for me and DH. That was super-appreciated. (I think it was meatballs over rice with mushroom sauce, salad, and ices for the kids, and some sort of steak with mushroom sauce and wild rice for the adults).

OutATowner

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 5:30 pm
I remember feeling pampered, I don't remember a specific meal. Kid friendly and not too greasy is always appreciated.
I made supper for friends a few times over the past few weeks and they all raved about it- butternut squash/sweet potato soup, shnitzel, and couscous (the pasta kind) with sauteed onions. And a bowl of cut up cantelope. It's not always possible, but most times I make way more than needed and my friend said she froze leftovers and was loved that she could do that.
I got containers from the dollar store for the soup. One thing I forgot to do was mention that she did not have to return it. I feel bad that she washed it out and had to remember to return, meant for her to keep and decide what she wanted to do with it.
I also make sure to write if the soup was made in a parve or fleishig pot.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 6:48 pm
Truthfully, I really remember the people who sent ENOUGH food. I was ravenous, and my appetite was a lot more than normal, so there was usually just enough food for the kids, and never enough food for me.

I'm not a huge fan of meat and chicken, I always love milchigs more, but I do remember one woman made an entire barbeque, along with rolls and sliced tomatoes and onions and lettuce for the burgers. That stood out.

But basically, I think kid-friendly food for the picky eaters are perfect, and sending along little dessert treats were amazing. I still remember each and every person that sent me food, and I'm still in awe of them. It's such a chesed!

mom!

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:45 pm
I always try to send something that works for everyone, (no sweet chickens, nothing with chopped meat ect.) I label everything as pareve/fleishigs. I also try to send a cut up fruit and a fresh salad.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:48 pm
So interesting how everyone has different preferences. I definitely crave lots of plant based foods after giving birth. Give me a variety of salads and sliced fruit and I'm in heaven. Put slices of grilled chicken or meat on the side, and everyone can customize it the way they like.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:49 pm
mom! wrote:
I always try to send something that works for everyone, (no sweet chickens, nothing with chopped meat ect.) I label everything as pareve/fleishigs. I also try to send a cut up fruit and a fresh salad.

People don’t eat chopped meat? Really? Meatballs and the like are a popular meal to send. What’s an example of something that you send?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics