Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can you really drink 8 cups of water a day?
Previous  1  2

SS6099

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 12:40 pm
Many vegetables and fruits, decaf coffee and juices can count towards the 8-cup recommendation.

ascsam

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 2:31 pm
A secretary I once worked with decided to get a big soda cup (like one of those giant convenience store ones), and sip it throughout the day in order to increase her water intake. She made sure to finish before going home for the day. Sipping throughout the day is probably better than downing 8 or 16 ounces at once. I don't think your body can effectively use so much at once, and it'll just send you to the bathroom.

I drink an enormous amount of liquid throughout the day, liters and liters of drink (of course, I live in Israel with no car, and I'm pregnant, so I require a lot more liquids than others). I started drinking a lot during my first job, when I realized that the frequent trips to the coffee area, water cooler, and bathroom where significantly more exciting than my actual job. I moved on long ago.

As others have said, your body adjusts to the new levels as you increase. That's why they tell you to increase your fluid intake several days before a fast, so that your body adjusts and holds onto the water, instead of just filtering it through.

shnitzel

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:01 pm
I drink according to thirst but I probably get close to 8 cups a day. Your body tells you very clearly when you need more water, you don't need to make yourself feel sick.

Mevater

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:06 am
shnitzel wrote:
I drink according to thirst but I probably get close to 8 cups a day. Your body tells you very clearly when you need more water, you don't need to make yourself feel sick.

Not me. Im never thirsty.

OOTBubby wrote:
I've been taught to take my weight in pounds, divide by 2 and drink that amount of water in ounces.

That means, if for example, you weigh 150 lb., you need to drink 75 oz. of water. that is just over 9.5 cups.

Thats exactly what I read in a top rated book this week.

How much and what does everyone drink?

How does everyone keep track daily of how much they drank to make sure they drank enough?

Einikel

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:15 am
Old thread

Mevater

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:24 am
Einikel wrote:
Old thread

I realized that, but I keep on reading how important drinking enough water is, and here was that discussion.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:38 am
One cup every hour is very doable. The day after a fast I can get in 13. Here they say 2-3 liters, that’s 8-12 cups.
If you are dehydrated, it’s hard to get in more than a few ounces. If you start off with 2 cups, as suggested above, you’re off to a good start. Keeping water easily accessible makes it easier.
You could try to drink a half cup every half hour. You will miss some, but that’s totally fine.

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 5:37 am
double post

Last edited by BadTichelDay on Mon, Mar 04 2019, 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 5:43 am
Not sure if it's healthy, but I can easily drink 4 cups (=700 - 800 ml) in a row. I do that in fact almost every morning.
1 cup of coffee and 3 cups of water.
During lunchbreak I drink 500 ml of water (from a bottle) in one go and in the evening, I just have another 4 or 5 cups or so.
That's now, in winter. In summer I drink more.
I find that it helps to drink water that is at room temperature and not cooled. That makes it possible to down bigger amounts comfortably.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 6:42 am
Op, I have a water app to remind me to take a drink of water. I have kidney stonrs and have to drink 10-12 cups of water a day. Its not easy but I do try!

Mevater

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 6:42 am
I guess its an individual thing.

For months Ive been trying to drink the recommended amount every day, and yet by the time I go to sleep, I know I drank way less than half my body weight in ounces (and I dont weigh that much, haha).

In my case its part forgetfulness, part avoidance, part procrastination.

acemom

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 8:52 am
I thought I was drinking at least 8 cups until I actually started counting.
I marked down each time I drank for about 2 weeks. I averaged 6 cups a day.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 8:59 am
I drink 3/4 of a gallon a day. I'm on a high protein diet and protein often dries you out so you need to drink a lot. It's recommended to drink half your weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 lbs you should drink 100 ounces but if you only weigh 120 lbs then you need to only drink 60 ounces. As I lose weight I cut down on my water intake. I lost 40 lbs so far so I drink 20 ounces less. My sister drinks a full gallon daily.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:13 am
I try to drink at least 2 liters a day. In the winter its harder, in the summer its too easy.

Just so everyone does realize, there is such a thing as water poisoning, so one could also drink too much water. Ive seen this happen to someone who drank too much water over a period of time. It was terrible what happened.

But also remember to drink as dehydration is very bad as well.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:22 am
What nobody really mentioned is how do you know if you drank enough? Sorry if TMI, but if your urine runs clear or pale yellow, that's a good indicator. Darker than that means you need to drink more. The actual amount you need to drink really varies from person to person, but the 8 cups is probably a good goal for starters...

Its definitely a learned skill and drinking small amounts constantly is probably the best.

lovetobemommy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:28 am
I easily surpass the 8 cups, I have 3 cups first thing in the morning and then 15 minutes before each meal I have a cup and 2 cups about an hour after each meal I probably get 12 to 15 cups a day.... I use the bathroom about 4 times a day my body is used already to this water amounts....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise