Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
IBR institute of basic research or evaluation for child

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:50 pm
Hi anyone know of this place? My sons principle recommend I get him evaluated so that they know what to work on? I'm really scared to cuz what are they gonna tell me about my normal son... find issues? anyone have experience with them or got their child evaluated? is there a charge or is it through insurance. ty

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:02 pm
I don't know anything about that particular place, but I do know a lot about testing in general. In the course of my work I've read many, many reports from children who were tested. I can't remember one where the tester "found issues" that weren't there. In fact it does happen that they miss important issues that are there, but hopefully you will see someone thorough and get accurate results. There's also not a ton that's really subject to interpretation, as most of it is standardized testing that simply gives you scores and percentiles in a range of areas. Still, an experienced evaluator is very valuable.

I'm assuming the testing was recommended because your child is struggling in some way at school. That doesn't make him less normal. The school wants to help him as best as they can, but they need information on how to do so.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 6:04 pm
I found it works both ways. When my son was evaluated and given a diagnosis of Learning Disabled, it wasn't very specific but it eliminated other ones so when ten years later a Rebbe suggests maybe he has ADHD, I said, no, he was tested already and he doesn't-he just didn't like the Rebbe and was acting up. The main part is the recommendations at the back of the evaluation. It will guide you and his teachers how to help him so nobody wastes time and money on things that won't help him anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics