Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do you schedule babies?!?

WastingTime

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:51 am
I have an adorable 2 month old and I really think she needs some semblance of schedule, especially regarding naps. Some days she sleeps for hours but some days she will barely go down. I won't let her cry it out but both of us will greatly benefit from some structure. Ideas???

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:53 am
mam pacifier
Makes sure she eats well. Give her tummy time. Put her to sleep before she is overtired. It's tough. You will get through this

rivkam

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:58 am
The key for me was just limiting awake time so either once the baby looks tired or if he or she is awake for 1-2 hours (at the 2 month stage) then put the baby down for a nap.
I never really understand the whole eat and sleep schedule thing. It feels way too rigid to me

rgr

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:05 pm
I found it helpful to focus on first thing in the morning to get started on a routine.
First decide when wake up in the morning will be.
No matter what, wake your baby at that time. Even if you just want to sleep late.
Feed baby
Let baby play until first sign of sleepiness. For a 2 month old this can be just over an hour of awake time.
Start sleep routine and put baby to sleep. (that's the hard part)
Repeat.
Consistency is key
Good luck

yksraya

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:10 pm
Bathing baby before bedtime can help with winding down. Also, the baby will soon figure that bath = bedtime is following.

agreer

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:26 pm
2 months old don't have regular schedules! Get used to that first :-)

You can "TRY" to put her on a schedule, but that works better around 4-6 months.

At this age, they should never be awake for more that 1.5-2 hours. That means 3-4 naps a day, some longer and some shorter. Naps are best in the crib but can be in stroller or car seat if you have to get out (at this age... by 4 months naps should be in the crib always)

Good luck.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:36 pm
She’s too young for a schedule! Shells wttke eventually at about 6 months give or take

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 12:38 pm
Are you kidding me? My babies put ME on a schedule. I see that around 9/9:30 baby is rubbing eyes/acting tired and it happens around the same time, then that is morning nap time. Your baby will tell you what his/her schedule is if you place close enough attention.
signed,
the baby whisperer

baltomom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 8:45 am
Read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It was a life-changer for me! In a nutshell, babies this age become overstimulated when awake for over 2 hours (sometimes less) and then have a hard time falling asleep. The key is to catch them when they're beginning to become sleepy and soothe them to the point that they can fall asleep themselves.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 9:43 am
On Becoming Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo completely changed my life.
Without it I would not have survived 3 kids in 3 years.
I know he is a Christian fundamentalist and the advice is controversial (mostly I think people are misunderstanding it or applying it wrong) and the family stuff is kind of ehhhh but as baltomom said, babies can get overstimulated and need to be put to sleep at the right time.
A small amount of crying is a normal part of baby's neurological development and facilitates the learning of self-soothing

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 9:51 am
Babies generally have one extended sleep each day. Do everything within your power to make it happen at night. It can be up to six hours straight. If yourbaby is going longer during the day, wake her up!
The above advice is great.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:34 am
Thanks for all the replies!
So bh at night she does go down around 930/10 and will sleep (obviously not straight!) until I get out of bed , around 7 weekdays. And I can usually see when she's tired, and actually manage to get her to sleep, but lately she then either won't go down or will only nap for 15 minutes and wake up. Sometimes she wakes up from gas but then she's wide awake again.
I find myself also nursing her just to try to get her to sleep or because the last time she ate she fell asleep in the middle so perhaps she's still hungry.

So basically we've got no eating or sleeping schedule, and a lot is influenced by the fact that she has gas/ needs to make which there's no way to control...

smile4ever

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 11:38 am
The baby whisperer and the happiest baby on the block were both extremely helpful for me

rgr

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:10 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!
So bh at night she does go down around 930/10 and will sleep (obviously not straight!) until I get out of bed , around 7 weekdays. And I can usually see when she's tired, and actually manage to get her to sleep, but lately she then either won't go down or will only nap for 15 minutes and wake up. Sometimes she wakes up from gas but then she's wide awake again.
I find myself also nursing her just to try to get her to sleep or because the last time she ate she fell asleep in the middle so perhaps she's still hungry.

So basically we've got no eating or sleeping schedule, and a lot is influenced by the fact that she has gas/ needs to make which there's no way to control...

Try putting her down for her nap earlier than you have previously. It's likely she's over tired.

Feed when baby just woke up so baby won't fall asleep from the nursing. Concentrate on getting full feedings.

aliavi

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:26 pm
Spend some time actively stimulating the baby after waking up and feeding. It will help the baby sleep more soundly. Music, walks, reading, appropriate toys, tickling or massage, and even bath time can be stimulating at that age. Prior to 2 months I’ve found babies to be less settled than older than 2 months.

Edit for typo
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics