Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are these 2 Amazon makeup products possibly counterfeit?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:56 pm
I just ordered 2 products on Amazon (because the drugstores are always out of the colors I want) and I regret it because they may be counterfeit.

The last thing I want to do is put junk on my eyes!

What do you think?

Maybelline New York Expert Wear Eyeshadow, Made For Mocha, Singles, 0.09 Ounce

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

and

COVERGIRL Ink It! Perfect Point Plus Waterproof Eyeliner, Cocoa Ink 260 (Packaging May Vary) Self Sharpening Long Lasting Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil, 1 Count

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:59 pm
I buy Maybelline mascara and Prestige eyeliner on Amazon all the time without issue. Just choose a Prime item (much more regulated) from a seller with reputable ratings.

Otherwise order from Wal-Mart. They have better prices and free shipping over $35 so as long as you're buying from them and not from a seller on their marketplace, you get 2 day free shipping and fresh products.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:12 pm
I would only buy from a drug store, where you know they are stocking the real brands.

If there is any chance of an allergic reaction, it's not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I would only buy from a drug store, where you know they are stocking the real brands.

If there is any chance of an allergic reaction, it's not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

Not easy.

The drugstore in BP with the biggest selection of makeup is Rite Aid on 13th and they never have the colors I want.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:24 pm
I buy all my cosmetics on amazon. Basically mary kay prosucts but also some maybeline & revlon.

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:27 pm
Anything is possibly counterfeit. If you have an older pack of the same thing to compare to that's a good way to check. Otherwise it's not really the biggest risk in the world. It you react or whatever just return it. I have no issue buying cosmetics on Amazon just for convenience. I just stick to sellers with good ratings.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 2:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I buy Maybelline mascara and Prestige eyeliner on Amazon all the time without issue. Just choose a Prime item (much more regulated) from a seller with reputable ratings.

Otherwise order from Wal-Mart. They have better prices and free shipping over $35 so as long as you're buying from them and not from a seller on their marketplace, you get 2 day free shipping and fresh products.

A prime item just means that the seller stocks it in Amazon's fulfillment centers. It's hardly much of a precaution.

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:56 pm
Sometimes stuff I get from Amazon seems a little off - recently I bought my favorite astringent and the label was smudged in an odd way and it smelled. I have found Target to be safer. They have a full selection online, versus in their stores. Drugstores like Walgreens and CVS have online websites with a better selection and you can always return to the store if something seems off.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 11:44 am
Ok I got my answer. The Maybelline Eyeshadow I just bought was discontinued in 2016.

Amazon employee says (It seems someone upthread has a different opinion) products that say sold by Amazon come directly from the manufacturer.

But now Im totally confused.

Rite Aid has it on its website, and it hasnt been made since 2016.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/m.....08-oz

isrmss91

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:40 pm
I don't think they would be counterfeit. hardly high end to be counterfeit. Makeup has a very high mark up. Most likely are probably old discontinued stock.
Riteaid probably has not updated their site in a while. Go check Maybelline directly to see if it is still sold or discontinued. They are always changing products to be fresh, new, & on trend.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:41 pm
I once bought a maybelline eye liner on amazon for pennies.
It was horrible - dry and crumbly.
Either it was fake or expired.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:19 pm
isrmss91 wrote:

Riteaid probably has not updated their site in a while. Go check Maybelline directly to see .

Haha In over 2 years?????

I called Maybelline, its def discontinued. This shade was discontinued in 2016. I chatted with Rite Aid. They said, theyll let the supervisors know. I wonder how long it will remain on the Rite Aid website, because its a very old product people would be getting from Rite Aid.

I wonder if theres a website that lists all discontinued cosmetics.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:20 pm
I won't buy makeup from amazon although I doubt Maybelline or Covergirl are counterfeit because economically it doesn't make sense to counterfeit drugstore brands. It is more likely that it is a discontinued batch that someone picked up on the secondary market.

I hate shopping for stuff in drugstores so I order my makeup through ultra.com. They have a great selection of brands and colors and it's incredibly convenient. Or if they don't have what you are looking for, walgren also has a good website and I would imagine that NYC chains like Duane Reade have a website that makes it more convenient than going to the store.

livinginisrael

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:45 pm
I know thus post is old but I bought maybelline lipliner from amazon and it seemed counterfeit too

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:46 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Ok I got my answer. The Maybelline Eyeshadow I just bought was discontinued in 2016.

Amazon employee says (It seems someone upthread has a different opinion) products that say sold by Amazon come directly from the manufacturer.

But now Im totally confused.

Rite Aid has it on its website, and it hasnt been made since 2016.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/m.....08-oz

OP here, I forgot about this thread.

I just checked and "A LOT" Rite Aid seems to care that the product theyre STILL selling after I spoke to an employee and told them this is a very old product that has been discontinued in 2016.

Everyone is out to make a buck. Some more honestly than others.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:07 am
I was pretty happy with this eyeliner
but now I'm wondering...

I've also gotten maybelline lipstick & cover girl under eye cover that I was quite happy with.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:32 am
Amarante wrote:
I won't buy makeup from amazon although I doubt Maybelline or Covergirl are counterfeit because economically it doesn't make sense to counterfeit drugstore brands. It is more likely that it is a discontinued batch that someone picked up on the secondary market.

I hate shopping for stuff in drugstores so I order my makeup through ultra.com. They have a great selection of brands and colors and it's incredibly convenient. Or if they don't have what you are looking for, walgren also has a good website and I would imagine that NYC chains like Duane Reade have a website that makes it more convenient than going to the store.

I’m very involved in the anti-counterfitting solutions industry. You’d be amazed at low many low priced products have issues. It’s not just loss of revenue but also ruins their reputation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics