Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Teenager rebelled against parents by getting vaccinated

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:27 pm
I'm curious, did anyone else ”rebel”?

Before I went to seminary I went to my PCP and got vaccinated. My father knew, my mother didn't.

aliavi

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:30 pm
Do you have an active link?

My parents vaccinated completely and on the suggested schedule. I wish the chicken pox vaccine was available back then!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:36 pm
I couldn't see the link. But by teenager I would assume they mean 18 or older.

My sister is a doctor, and she has had patients who come to her to get vaccinated when they are old enough to make their own choice.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:41 pm
Some states allow mature teens under age 18 to make their own medical decisions.

Hopefully health departments would not charge 18 year olds who need every vaccine. It would be a shame if inability to pay was an obstacle.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:57 pm
Calling this "rebellion" is unnecessarily inflammatory.

It is not rebellion to make your own medical choices when of age to do so. Would you also call it rebellion if a child raised to take medication for a cold decided to try elderberry syrup? Is it rebellion if a boy raised "intact" decides to be circumcised when he is older? Or if a girl whose parents only use clip-ons decides to get earrings as an adult?

This is another example of how the vaccine debate has become polarizing and divisive. Please, let's learn to disagree respectfully.

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:01 pm
I know many guys who got circumcised as adults and it was just their personal, religious decision, not a “rebellion” against their parents.

With vaccines, I suppose you could view it that way if the parents had such strong opinions that they were liable to get angry.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
Calling this "rebellion" is unnecessarily inflammatory.

It is not rebellion to make your own medical choices when of age to do so. Would you also call it rebellion if a child raised to take medication for a cold decided to try elderberry syrup? Is it rebellion if a boy raised "intact" decides to be circumcised when he is older? Or if a girl whose parents only use clip-ons decides to get earrings as an adult?

This is another example of how the vaccine debate has become polarizing and divisive. Please, let's learn to disagree respectfully.

THIS.

The word "rebellion" really rubbed me the wrong way, too. Wow, child makes a healthy and rational choice, news at 11!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics