Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Immunizations for 4 month old with cold
Previous  1  2

honeymoon

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
lovetobemommy- I thought that nursing doesn't mean that children don't need vaccines? I just scheduled my dd for her 4month appointment even though it's really 5 months...

If the mother is immune, a nursing infant will in most cases have immunity from the mother for approx the first six months of his/her life. So waiting till after six months actually makes a lot of sense.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:12 pm
honeymoon wrote:
If the mother is immune, a nursing infant will in most cases have immunity from the mother for approx the first six months of his/her life. So waiting till after six months actually makes a lot of sense.

Completely untrue for a lot of the infant vaccines and im surprised you would give this kind of dangerous info to people.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
Completely untrue for a lot of the infant vaccines and im surprised you would give this kind of dangerous info to people.

Note, I said 'if the mother is immune'. Ask you doctor about it.

nchr

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:27 pm
honeymoon wrote:

Actually the majority of antibodies an infant receives from its mother is actually from the uterus, not breast milk. I have a more detailed post about this on another thread, but this is a common misunderstanding amongst many mothers.

Also, regarding vaccines when ill. A moderate to severe illness would result in delaying a vaccine, but colds, ear infections, influenza B, etc. are generally not a reason to delay. The concern is not really about "overwhelming the immune system" but rather the fact that a body will be busy fighting something else and therefore develop less immunity to what he or she was vaccinated against. Obviously, discuss it with your doctor before taking my advice, or other anonymous individuals online.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:32 pm
nchr wrote:
Actually the majority of antibodies an infant receives from its mother is actually from the uterus, not breast milk. I have a more detailed post about this on another thread, but this is a common misunderstanding amongst many mothers.

Also, regarding vaccines when ill. A moderate to severe illness would result in delaying a vaccine, but colds, ear infections, influenza B, etc. are generally not a reason to delay. The concern is not really about "overwhelming the immune system" but rather the fact that a body will be busy fighting something else and therefore develop less immunity to what he or she was vaccinated against. Obviously, discuss it with your doctor before taking my advice, or other anonymous individuals online.

True. Thank you for pointing it out. I threw in the reference to nursing because she was saying that her baby is nursing full time. The nursing factor is a benefit in fighting diseases regardless of the mother's (or baby's) state of immunity.

edited for grammatical error.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:37 pm
honeymoon wrote:
True. Thank you for pointing it out. I threw in the reference to nursing because she was saying that her baby is nursing full time. The nursing factor is a benefit in fighting diseases regardless of the mother's (or baby's) state of immunity.

edited for grammatical error.

The immunization schedule is what it is because it takes into account how quickly the passive immunity lasts from the uterus. Where is your six months figure taken from?

lovetobemommy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:45 pm
amother wrote:
The immunization schedule is what it is because it takes into account how quickly the passive immunity lasts from the uterus. Where is your six months figure taken from?

When I say full time mean really full time! No bottles and not even water just breast milk straight from the breast not pumped, so the baby is getting what he needs to fight of disease, at 6 month the baby start eating solids, crawling on the floor and exploring different toys and objects in his mouth, that's when he is exposed to a lot more bacteria and pathogens so it's time for him to start getting his shots, my pediatrician is fully on board with me.

nchr

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:51 pm
lovetobemommy wrote:
When I say full time mean really full time! No bottles and not even water just breast milk straight from the breast not pumped, so the baby is getting what he needs to fight of disease, at 6 month the baby start eating solids, crawling on the floor and exploring different toys and objects in his mouth, that's when he is exposed to a lot more bacteria and pathogens so it's time for him to start getting his shots, my pediatrician is fully on board with me.

Just wanted to point out to other posters that a baby under six months old should not be given water. It is also interesting to note that breastfed infants actually develop great immunity to the viruses and bacteria when vaccinated than non breastfed infants.

Your breast milk is not providing immunity against many vaccine preventable diseases or diseases in general, but it could be that your is simply not exposed to these or you made a decision that is appropriate for your family, which is your right and choice.

*I also tried to find my IgA and IgG post regarding breastmilk but could not locate it (would be relevant to my post above)

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:57 pm
lovetobemommy wrote:

so six months is your number?

lovetobemommy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 7:02 pm
nchr wrote:
Just wanted to point out to other posters that a baby under six months old should not be given water. It is also interesting to note that breastfed infants actually develop great immunity to the viruses and bacteria when vaccinated than non breastfed infants.

Your breast milk is not providing immunity against many vaccine preventable diseases or diseases in general, but it could be that your is simply not exposed to these or you made a decision that is appropriate for your family, which is your right and choice.

*I also tried to find my IgA and IgG post regarding breastmilk but could not locate it (would be relevant to my post above)

I agree about the water, I think it also makes a difference if the milk is coming from the breast or pumped immunity wise

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 7:04 pm
lovetobemommy wrote:
I agree about the water, I think it also makes a difference if the milk is coming from the breast or pumped immunity wise

Does this child put anything in her mouth other than food source?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics