Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby won't take bottle

curlyhead

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 5:02 am
I'm working twice a week for 2-3hour . I express milk for my 4 month old to have during that time but for some reason she won't take it. My baby normally nurses every 2-3hours. The babysitter gets frustrated when the baby is crying and does not want the bottle. Some of times my baby is crying just because she is tired and need help falling asleep. But of course the babysitter thinks she hungry.
I'm thinking of maybe starting her on solids so that the babysitter will be able to give her that. I was hoping not to start till after pesach when she will be almost 6 months.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 9:35 pm
It's kinda young to start her on solids...also at this stage they don't get "filled up" from it.... (if she's tired, she'll just keep crying especially!!)
I have a friend who's baby wouldn't take a bottle either, but just went without eating until she returned.... So it may be if you're baby is gaining fine, that will work for her....
However, you may want to try different nipples to see if she will prefer one over another.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Rivk

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 9:42 pm
I think it's part of the babysitter's job to follow your instructions. If you are sure that she's not hungry and just tired then there's no reason to feed her anything! A better plan would be to start teaching her how to fall asleep on her own. (Easier said than done, I know! Rolling Eyes ) And make sure to feed her right before you leave.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 9:46 pm
1. try different nipples at home
2. try formula - some babies just don't take mother's milk from a bottle
3. your baby might be hungry!!!
4. teach the babysitter how to put her to sleep
5. make sure that the babysitter doesn't have too many kids in her group
6. if the baby is good, take her w/ u to work

hope this helps

raizy

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 10:08 pm
if the baby is tired then the baby will go to sleep. also do u think it is nice or cheerful for a babysitter to hear your kid crying and knowing that they cant do anything to releive it.?
I had two breastfed kids in my playgroup after two weeks of listhening to them bawl. I told their mothers why should I have to put up with this u go home and give your babies bottles. maybe in your hands it will take a bottle.
well low and behold the next monday both babies took a bottle and it worked out fine. a little pressure from me . I was on the verge of kicking them out of my playgroup really helps.

try and teach her yourselve how to take a bottle.

also some mother get tense before they go to work and dont nurse enough or well enough to fill up the kids stomack. I know one of the kids mother always claimed I just fed her right before I came but the baby would scream of hunger. she drank the bottle that I gave her in five minetes or less. that tells me she was hungry not just tired or cranky.

also one mother gives me her breastmilk and I put in powder formalla to increase it thickin it up . (her idea) it really helps the kid doesnt cry so much anymore(she is a really fat kid) needs alot of bottles a day to get bye/

amother

Post Fri, Jun 03 2005, 12:06 am
If the babysitter gets frustrated and doesn't try to see what's wrong.. maybe the babys tired... needs a new diaper.. etc and always thinks she just hungry then I say why not get a new babysitter??!

IndyMom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2005, 8:27 am
Is it your private babysitter or does she have a whole group of kids?

If she is private, perhaps she can feed the baby wiht a syringe (no needle of course). I fed my youngest that way when I was pumping/nursing and trying to build a milk supply. He wasn't confused by it since he wasn't sucking on anything except my nipples. The syringe milk just kind of floatd through his mouth.

1stimer

Post Fri, Jun 03 2005, 10:41 am
Quote:
if the baby is tired then the baby will go to sleep.

Not necessarily true, with my kid if he doesn't go to sleep AS SOON as he is tired, and literally, it will take him hours to fall asleep.

Yosefa

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 4:04 pm
my daughter seems to latch very well on the gerber bottles that came w/ my pump. better than on platex.

baby's mom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 1:16 am
Quote:
Not necessarily true, with my kid if he doesn't go to sleep AS SOON as he is tired, and literally, it will take him hours to fall asleep.

same here.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 1:23 am
Your baby's reaction seem normal. She is still very connected to you and is used to you nursing her and putting her to sleep. It is too early for solids and that probably wont solve the problem as she is not even taking the bottle. Does she know this babysitter? Maybe the babysitter can spend time at your house when you're around and practice giviing her the bottle and or putting her to sleep. If she is tired ther are different techniques that work very well at that age. Wihte noise stuff like water running, bouncing on big yoga ball, maybe that would just help her calm down. Also, when does she cry? towards the end? in the beg? Does she cry for 2 hours?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics