Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Smartphone/Internet for work

Chaya123

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:56 pm
Not sure which forum to post this bec it's a combination of working/emotional health/chinuch.

Anyway, if you have a smartphone/internet for work purposes and wouldn't have one otherwise, how do you view yourself and use around children. I'm not just referring to installing heavy filters etc. But having a smartphone is a status and once you need it for work, obviously you'll want the benefits of it like various apps etc.
But with all the (rightfully so) hype against smartphones and the status symbol it creates, how to you live with yourself and the smartphone?
It's like can't live with it, can't live without it.
I'm not proud I have a smartphone and try to hide as much as possible but obviously it's going to be around for texting, pictures, uber, waze, you name it.
I toyed many times with the idea of getting a flip phone for personal use and keep the smartphone hidden just to check emails but reality is it's very convenient to have around but am I sacrificing my children's chinuch and my family's image/status for the sake of it?
If you see a very yeshivish/chassidish woman with a smartphone who doesn't fit the image of having one, do you judge her as more modern or realize she must need for work and has it anyway?
This is something constantly on my mind and bothers me a lot so would love to hear feedback. Please only respond if you're on the same page as me and don't bash those who are against smartphones/internet.
Thank you!

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:24 pm
Not bashing your ideology but also not understanding why you are against smart phones and yet feel that once you have one for work, the floodgates have been opened and therefore you may also use Apps that are not work related.

What is the work related purpose for having a smart phone. Are you required to respond to emails 24/7 even if you are away from a computer?

Do you use a computer with internet browser for work? Do you use the internet for non-work related purposes.

Again, I am not challenging a belief system but don't understand why one supports a belief system but doesn't feel compelled to actually adhere to that belief system.

FWIW, I have a iPhone, iPad and computer - all with unfiltered internet access and the only p*orn I view are expensive bags and shoes so having access to "forbidden fruit" is a non-issue for me personally.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:09 pm
[quote="Chaya123"]

But having a smartphone is a status and once you need it for work, obviously you'll want the benefits of it like various apps etc.

I'm not proud I have a smartphone and try to hide as much as possible but obviously it's going to be around for texting, pictures, uber, waze, you name it.

Why will it “obviously” be used if youre so unsure about it? I took apps off my iphone

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:37 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
Not sure which forum to post this bec it's a combination of working/emotional health/chinuch.

Anyway, if you have a smartphone/internet for work purposes and wouldn't have one otherwise, how do you view yourself and use around children. I'm not just referring to installing heavy filters etc. But having a smartphone is a status and once you need it for work, obviously you'll want the benefits of it like various apps etc.
But with all the (rightfully so) hype against smartphones and the status symbol it creates, how to you live with yourself and the smartphone?
It's like can't live with it, can't live without it.
I toyed many times with the idea of getting a flip phone for personal use and keep the smartphone hidden just to check emails but reality is it's very convenient to have around but am I sacrificing my children's chinuch and my family's image/status for the sake of it?
If you see a very yeshivish/chassidish woman with a smartphone who doesn't fit the image of having one, do you judge her as more modern or realize she must need for work and has it anyway?
This is something constantly on my mind and bothers me a lot so would love to hear feedback. Please only respond if you're on the same page as me and don't bash those who are against smartphones/internet.
Thank you!

If you can have enough discipline to keep your phone out of site for dinner - homework - bedtime, or times when u are speaking to your kids, playing with them etc. you will be miles ahead of most of us, and give your kids a strong message that your phone isn’t nearly as important as them. Try to limit the use to when u really need it /certain hours etc.

B4 I got my own smart phone the above was obvious to me. Unfortunately once I have it the addictive properties make it really hard to stick too. I’m totally guilt of not following the above, and it’s something I am struggling to work on, find balance with. Good luck!

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 6:17 am
A smartphone is a status symbol?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:03 am
If you use it for things other than work, you are giving your kids the message that smart phones are ok. Which many people would say is true. But many would say it's a bad influence.
Are you in Israel?
In Israel, charedim with a smart phone are considered more modern, and smartphones are considered a bad influence.
You cannot say to your kids not to use a smartphone if you use one. Unless you can say to them I only use it for work.
Why can't you keep in your office? Use a lap top for emails and internet.
Having emails and internet in your pocket at your fingertips is recipe for addiction, you will pay less attention to your kids, and you won't be able to put it down.

I would say use it if you think it's right. Don't worry about your family's image. Worry about whether you want a smart phone in your house for chinuch purposes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics