Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Good inexpensive sewing machine

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:39 am
I'm a beginner at sewing- mostly hems, repairs, costumes (since they don't need to be perfect!), EXTREMELY basic patterns (like little girls' jumpers) etc. I have no training so I'm really lacking in the skills department. I'd love to take lessons but it just ain't gonna happen now.

Anyway, my old, inherited sewing machine finally died (right before Purim!) and I want to buy an inexpensive replacement that A. I, as a fairly ignorant novice, could figure out, and B. will actually last.

Is such a thing possible for under $100? Even less? What about a refurbished brand name like Singer? Would that be worth the price?

On an old thread someone recommended a model she got for under $100- but the price now is over $300!

TIA!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:17 am
30 dollars at tarhet

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:26 am
The Brother CS6000i was recommended on many blog sites as a good first sewing machine. I had never sewn one stitch on a sewing machine before I purchased mine, but with the help of youtube videos, I am really enjoying it.
I see the price is now $157 on various sites. Is that too far out of your price range?

gande

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:44 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....65026
This is supposedly the newer model for that machine that is $300 now.
Just some tips from a self taught hobbyist.
Make sure do use the right needle type for your fabric. Makes a world of a difference.
You can find anazing sewing tutorials on youtube just google in what you want to make.

meme6

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 9:49 am
Walmart they sell a singer for $100 best investment I made and whoever I recommended it to loves it for basics

cm

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:26 am
In general, Janome makes solid "workhorse" machines at many price points. Check Patternreview (website) for user reviews. Singer isn't what it used to be, but you might have a good experience.

meme6

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:42 am
cm wrote:
In general, Janome makes solid "workhorse" machines at many price points. Check Patternreview (website) for user reviews. Singer isn't what it used to be, but you might have a good experience.

It’s not what it used to be but for basic sewing and at a $100 it’s great

MiriamBatya1997

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 12:42 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I'm a beginner at sewing- mostly hems, repairs, costumes (since they don't need to be perfect!), EXTREMELY basic patterns (like little girls' jumpers) etc. I have no training so I'm really lacking in the skills department. I'd love to take lessons but it just ain't gonna happen now.

Anyway, my old, inherited sewing machine finally died (right before Purim!) and I want to buy an inexpensive replacement that A. I, as a fairly ignorant novice, could figure out, and B. will actually last.

Is such a thing possible for under $100? Even less? What about a refurbished brand name like Singer? Would that be worth the price?

On an old thread someone recommended a model she got for under $100- but the price now is over $300!

TIA!

The only new machine I ever bought (Walmart) I didn’t realize it didn’t reverse or have buttonholes. It was about $100 but it’s been 8 or so years. Looking right now, Amazon has machines at 80-120 if you search sewing machines clearance price. Just check that the functions and stitches are what you want. It’s no fun to buy one and then realize you already need to save to replace it. As far as classes, many are online. The cheapest is Craftsy. I have bought many of their classes. They have switched owners several times. Now the best deal is to subscribe and use a code. I signed up again for $3 instead of 90. The catch? You need to call them and have your card removed so they don’t bill you the following year. They dodged me on the phone until I politely stated commenting on their social media accounts. Suddenly the phone worked. They will ask why you want your card removed and I stick with because my bank told me to. It isn’t secure. They don’t want you to turn off auto renew, that’s how they profit. You can also purchase the classes you like. Wait for a sale. Then if the stop subscription, I own my classes. $3 bucks is a great start, though. Happy shopping!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing