Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Clergy exemption for property taxes? (NY)

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 6:51 am
Hi- I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this or knows if there's someone I could call to find out.

My husband has semicha, and he is a teacher in a yeshiva. Would this qualify us to apply for a property tax (or is it school tax?) exemption? Does it depend on if it's in NYC or nassau county? I'm assuming it's more complicated than it sounds, but we are new to the house hunt..

If anyone has any experience, I'd greatly appreciate some advice.

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:23 am
I think you're talking about parsonage.

Certain clergy are able to take have some of their salary tax free related to the cost of housing.

The employer needs to give an amount for a reasonable cost of housing in the area. That amount is tax free.

You can look it up.

Shuly

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:51 am
In Nassau County, there is a property tax exemption for clergy.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:53 am
amother wrote:
Hi- I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this or knows if there's someone I could call to find out.

My husband has semicha, and he is a teacher in a yeshiva. Would this qualify us to apply for a property tax (or is it school tax?) exemption? Does it depend on if it's in NYC or nassau county? I'm assuming it's more complicated than it sounds, but we are new to the house hunt..

If anyone has any experience, I'd greatly appreciate some advice.

AFAIK, teachers are not entitled to a parsonage exemption, even if they happen to be rabbis. The exemption deals with people who are congregational religious leaders, and who receive a housing allowance as part of their compensation.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/inter.....wance

However, questions of this nature should be addressed to a CPA or other tax accountant, particularly given recent changes in the tax laws.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:57 am
Definitely ask an accountant. Someone we know did this and declare their home to be a non-profit closet but now their children can't inherit it

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:46 am
Shuly wrote:
In Nassau County, there is a property tax exemption for clergy.

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. I guess my best bet is to contact a local CPA who would have experience, just wondering if anyone here has applied and know the exact requirements.

thanks

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:47 am
ectomorph wrote:
Definitely ask an accountant. Someone we know did this and declare their home to be a non-profit closet but now their children can't inherit it

I wouldn't be touching the not for profit exemption, just the clergy exemption. But I will ask

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:39 am
I cannot imagine it would apply. He does not have a "congregation".

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
I cannot imagine it would apply. He does not have a "congregation".

It can apply to teachers.

My mother has a ba in Jewish studies and is a judaica teacher and in the eyes of the govt eligible for parsonage legally.

Don’t need to have a congregation just a knowledge of tax Laws.

Maybe more girls should get ba in Jewish law then special ed if becoming teachers to be eligible for parsonage (jk).

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
It can apply to teachers.

My mother has a ba in Jewish studies and is a judaica teacher and in the eyes of the govt eligible for parsonage legally.

Don’t need to have a congregation just a knowledge of tax Laws.

Maybe more girls should get ba in Jewish law then special ed if becoming teachers to be eligible for parsonage (jk).

Your mom is a rabba? The requirements appear to be:

Quote:
Your property is not a cooperative.
● Your primary residence is located in the state of New York.
● You are one of the following:
● An active clergy member engaged in ministerial work as your principal occupation.
● A clergy member unable to perform such work due to illness or impairment.
(Medical documentation required.)
● A retired clergy member over 70.
● The unremarried surviving spouse of a clergy member.

Teachers are not engaged in ministerial work as their principal occupation.

Again, though, I would check with a CPA.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:14 am
I obviously have not seen the law written out, but I cannot believe this is true. There is no way that every person who has a degree in religion and teaches religion gets "parsonage". No aspersions on anyone, but there is a way to answer questions on forms that are not the "correct" way. Your mother is not CLERGY.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics