Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you use a personal shopper?
1  2  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:57 pm
I’m really desperate for some extra cash and was thinking what I can do in my spare time. I have great taste and a good eye and would love to do personal shopping for people. I’m just questioning how many/if any people in boro Park area really use a personal shopper and how to go about getting my name out there?

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:06 pm
I wish I had the money for it. I think most people feel the same as I do. They'd love help but can't afford it.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:06 pm
The way to do it: put out an ad...inquire how much personal shoppers charge...and see if you get any response. My heartfelt wishes for Hatzlacha. I'm sure you will get some calls!! go ahead...

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:15 pm
I wouldn't. I don't even like decorators.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:26 pm
I don't live in bp but yes, I definitely would like to when I have the money some day. I want to look good but style just eludes me. Plus I have no confidence so I think I look bad in everything. If I knew I could trust someone to buy a wardrobe that would make me look great I would go for it twice a year.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 3:09 pm
Like Gray, I love the idea of having a personal shopper, but can't realistically see myself spending money on it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:19 pm
Like the others said, it would be a nice thing if you have the money for it. That being said, there are plenty of people in BP who would be able to spend money on that so I say go for it!

Emotional

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:39 pm
I wonder how much such a service would cost. If I could afford it, I would definitely take advantage of such a service for my daughter when she begins shidduchim IYH🙂

agreer

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 12:41 am
I would do it if I was very, very wealthy and you had a great reputation/website/instagram such that I could see how good a shopper you are.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:16 pm
Cyan amother wrote:
I wouldn't. I don't even like decorators.

The only woman I'd hire to shop for me is Cayce Pollard.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
I’m really desperate for some extra cash and was thinking what I can do in my spare time. I have great taste and a good eye and would love to do personal shopping for people. I’m just questioning how many/if any people in boro Park area really use a personal shopper and how to go about getting my name out there?

I wouldn't. Not that I live in Boro Park.

"Great taste" and "good eye" are in the eye of the beholder; I know any number of people who think that of themselves, and I disagree -- although I don't share that with them.

Its also very different to be able to choose things for yourself, and to select for others. You need to have a good understanding of how things lay on others, how different brands are cut, etc. Things as pedestrian as knowing that 2 or 3 button blazers look much better on larger chested women, and 1-button on smaller women; or what brands of shirts have larger arm openings.

But if you think you have what it takes, start by offering your services on a contingent fee -- you'll help find the perfect whatever, within a budget, for x% of the purchase price, but its free if they don't wind up keeping items.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:28 pm
never.

my mother did pay for a personal shopper for me when I was engaged and needed a lot of sheva brochos outfits and we lived out of town+only had a week to shop.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:29 pm
Emotional wrote:
I wonder how much such a service would cost. If I could afford it, I would definitely take advantage of such a service for my daughter when she begins shidduchim IYH🙂

Hoping she meets her beshert, who is deserving of her.

Department stores often offer personal shoppers free of charge, if she's interested.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:36 pm
Nooooo

Zehava

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 3:42 pm
I can see there being a market for it in the same league as personal cooks. Sometimes a mother is overwhelmed with full-time work, on bed rest, sick, or chv passed away. There isn’t always family to fill all the gaps. And shopping for the season can be one of those things that fall through the cracks. The trick is to know who your target audience is, and market accordingly.

forgetit

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 3:45 pm
Maybe you can be a salesperson in clothing store instead/or as a trial and see how ppl take to your ideas?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:28 pm
I know a few people who have used a personal shopper...
think kallas without a mom or a rich lady who doesnt like to shop

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:35 pm
Yes I would. I have a very hard time matching clothes and shopping in general (and no I'm not rich)

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:55 pm
OP I saw an ad in Monsey recently , a woman advertising that she takes care of dressing the kallah and all the siblings etc from head to toe the day of the wedding so that the mother could be busy with the important things. Maybe this type of thing is up your alley as well.
I don't think she does hair but does the actual dressing and final touches (not sure what that entails)

debsey

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:44 pm
I would, 100%. But I'm in Lakewood.

Only someone who would shop for my kids, and take care of buying all the accessories and socks etc. and also take them to the tailor and and deal with all the fitting, altering, etc.

I think that most people with the money for st like that also have the time to shop themselves. I'm extremely busy in my business, don't really "get" fashion, but like to dress nicely and like to dress my kids bakovidik.

I think I'm pretty unique in that I'd have the money for it, and I'd love it, and I don't have strong opinions of my own.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics