Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My son always wakes up in middle of the night
Previous  1  2

caza

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:23 am
Read about habitual waking- Google it.
They say you should gently move the child so it breaks the sleep pattern

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 12:28 pm
When DD was that age, she would wake up at 2:10 am every single night. sometimes she'd be off by a minute, but never more than that. It was so precise!

I was able to ask her what was wrong, and I figured out that she was dreaming. She couldn't tell reality from a vivid dream, and it was scaring her.

I explained to her that when she's asleep, her brain gets bored, so it starts telling itself stories. Some stories are nice, but some can seem scary. If you don't like the dream, you wake up and tell yourself "Brain, I do not like that story. Give me a nice story." and then go back to sleep.

It worked like a charm. Sometimes I could hear her on the monitor, scolding her brain for not being nice, but eventually she grew out of it. By then, she was waking up at night to use the bathroom, so she got night trained pretty easily.

alwaysbhappy

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:14 pm
Sounds like my son exactly. He is 2.5 also, goes to sleep between 6-7pm, not toilet trained and is a very picky eater. I've tried almost all the suggestions also. Nothing really ever worked. He's been waking up many nights and many times throughout the night for as long as I can remember. At this point I just ignore him and he generally gets quiet after a few min. I listen to his cry and I can usually tell if something is actually bothering him, or he's crying for "no reason." If he doesn't stop crying after 10 min I'll usually go in to see what's wrong. If he's not feeling well, or needs a drink, or is scared of something.....
All I can say is I hope this will pass soon and he will grow up fine.
Loads of luck.
But definitely check for pinworms/medicate. Very common especially if he is in a playgroup or around other young children.
Also, I find that when he naps well, he sleeps better and wakes up less.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:24 pm
OMG. My son started doing the same. He wakes up every night screaming and comes in my bed. I guess he has nightmares. Hopefully it's a phase and will pass.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics