Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Don't waste your money on packaging
1  2  3  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:02 pm
Folks, I so appreciate your gorgeous Shalach Manos, with each almond individually shrink-wrapped to coordinate with your theme of Crystal Clear. I am touched at the bottles of pure water, chosen primarily because the label fits so precisely with your handwritten uneven rhyme. I am appropriately impressed at the gummy goats and marzipan chickens for your Purim on the Farm.

I am blown away by the precision-cut boxes that hold your chocolates in a perfect tower, at the elegant copper tray holding four hamentashen (chocolate-dipped) in lone splendor, and at the custom-printed gift bags holding an array of candy canes and aged liquor for your Zaidy theme.

BUT:

Instead of spending $17.99 on the tray and $14 on the ribbon and filler, YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT ME EIGHT BARS OF GOOD-QUALITY CHOCOLATE.

Instead of spending $110 on the shrink-wrap machine, you could have given me 12 POUNDS of Jordanian almonds and chocolate-covered raisins.

Instead of the copper tray, you could have given me 3 PANS of hamentashen, and even some Bartenura blue to wash them down.

Instead of the little plastic boxes at 98 cents a piece (lid sold separately), you could have gotten me Viennese crunch and spicy chips and a case of mango.

(Despite any appearances to the contrary, this post is NOT tongue-in-cheek. My tongue is hanging out of my mouth and I am salivating as I type.)

Remember that after Purim is done and gone, the trays will gather dust in my basement... but those pounds and loving memories of lip-licking will remain with me forever.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:03 pm
Or given the money to tzedokah...

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:36 pm
Everyone can choose to spend their money however they wish. If you don't appreciate it, that's too bad on you.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
Everyone can choose to spend their money however they wish.

👍🏻

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:

(Despite any appearances to the contrary, this post is NOT tongue-in-cheek. My tongue is hanging out of my mouth and I am salivating as I type.)

Remember that after Purim is done and gone, the trays will gather dust in my basement... but those pounds and loving memories of lip-licking will remain with me forever.

Yes, the pounds most certainly will stay with you. That's why most people prefer not to get 8 bars of chocolate or 3 trays of hamantashen from each person.[b]

amother
Rose

allthingsblue wrote:
Or given the money to tzedokah...

This.
Though tbh, I carefully salvage as much of the beautiful bags and dishes and boxes and ribbons as possible for reuse down the road. My costume this year will be trimmed with ribbon saved from old MM, my dd who is setting up her first apt is getting a couple of baking and serving pieces that were MM containers a few years ago, and virtually all my MM will be packed in bags or baskets in which we got MM or other gifts in years past. The last time I spent money on packaging for MM was...just about never. Maybe a roll of colored cellophane 30 years ago. I have so much salvaged stuff I could go into business.

amother
Linen

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I love love love your post!!! I agree with every word! (Besides for the chocolate covered raisins... I prefer chocolate covered pretzels)

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
I love love love your post!!! I agree with every word! (Besides for the chocolate covered raisins... I prefer chocolate covered pretzels)

I agree, such a waste of money to have to show off with fancy wrapping and containers, it’s not the idea of the mitzvah

glamourmom

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:

you must be me. lol

but OP, I loved your post for it's humor and detailed hyperbole. it takes a creative mind. thanks for the laugh.

giselle

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:51 pm
I got a kick out of this post, but I don’t agree with it in essence. I love putting together nice mishloach manos, and yes I do spend money on the packaging as well as what’s in it. It’s what makes me happy. Everything you spend money on can technically be simpler. You can spend less on clothing, buy cheaper food, fewer toys.. it’s never ending. At the end of the day, we all spend (within our means) on what makes us happy.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:02 pm
I don’t get why it’s your business what kind on mm anyone gives. Are they taking your money? If they want to give fancy mm take it and enjoy it! This demanding what food to give, what wrapping to give.... not your say at all. Everyone can and should do as they please!

P.s. I get basically cheap wrapped mm from 99% of the people. Majority gives a hard colored plastic plate closed with shrink wrap. I have yet to get $25 mm from even one person. I guess you live in a neighborhood with higher standards.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:08 pm
Sorry if I offended anyone! It was meant to be a joke.

(I don't get any super-fancy Shalach Manos anyhow, and am thrilled with whatever I get. This was probably more of a spin-off of other threads - here and elsewhere - where people oddly find it appropriate to criticize Shalach Manos. Although, and I am being very serious here, there is NO such thing as too much chocolate. Really.)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:36 pm
If you want chocolate then have your dh become a rebbe. Apparently parents give chocolate to their childs rebbe over their fancy homemade mishloach manos.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:02 am
I was about to start a spinoff post called "Don't tell me what to waste my money on" (especially since we were also just ordered not to waste time/money on homemade goods! The nerve. If I can't buy love to send then at least I can send a fresh challah) but luckily I opened it first and realized you were talking my language (chocolate math!)

If the downer comments were in a spinoff they'd have a valid point, but posted below this OP I think people need to lighten up.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:12 am
flowerpower wrote:
If you want chocolate then have your dh become a rebbe. Apparently parents give chocolate to their childs rebbe over their fancy homemade mishloach manos.

Does it work if he dresses up like a Rebbe?

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:25 am
No harm splashing out on fancy MM if someone has the means to do so.
However, worthwhile remembering that one is supposed to give MORE to matanot l'evyonim than they spent on MM.

"It is better for a person to increase his gifts to the poor than to increase the size of his Purim meal or mishlo’ach manot. For there is no greater and more admirable joy than to gladden the hearts of the destitute, orphans, widows and strangers. One who gladdens the hearts of the unfortunate is likened unto the Divine Presence." - Rambam (Hilkhot Megilla 2:17)

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:04 am
Israeli_C wrote:
No harm splashing out on fancy MM if someone has the means to do so.
However, worthwhile remembering that one is supposed to give MORE to matanot l'evyonim than they spent on MM.

"It is better for a person to increase his gifts to the poor than to increase the size of his Purim meal or mishlo’ach manot. For there is no greater and more admirable joy than to gladden the hearts of the destitute, orphans, widows and strangers. One who gladdens the hearts of the unfortunate is likened unto the Divine Presence." - Rambam (Hilkhot Megilla 2:17)

This is what I decided years ago to do, even without knowing about Rambam. It’s always a thrill to discover that Rambam decreed something centuries ago that I figured out independently just now, but no surprise. He was the ultimate rationalist, after all.

I send in my ML checks long before Purim so
that’s taken care of, no matter what happens with MM. I started doing this when it became clear that MM always end up costing more than intended, which made me feel bad that the needy were being deprived while those who are definitely not hurting were being deluged with treats they need like a hole in the head and may even be throwing out.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:14 am
I personally enjoy a nice presentation that believe it or not costs $1.25 or under even though it looks like it cost $25.....
But op your post was halrious and well written.

Happy Purim!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:59 am
amother wrote:
Folks, I so appreciate your gorgeous Shalach Manos, with each almond individually shrink-wrapped to coordinate with your theme of Crystal Clear. I am touched at the bottles of pure water, chosen primarily because the label fits so precisely with your handwritten uneven rhyme. I am appropriately impressed at the gummy goats and marzipan chickens for your Purim on the Farm.

I am blown away by the precision-cut boxes that hold your chocolates in a perfect tower, at the elegant copper tray holding four hamentashen (chocolate-dipped) in lone splendor, and at the custom-printed gift bags holding an array of candy canes and aged liquor for your Zaidy theme.

BUT:

Instead of spending $17.99 on the tray and $14 on the ribbon and filler, YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT ME EIGHT BARS OF GOOD-QUALITY CHOCOLATE.

Instead of spending $110 on the shrink-wrap machine, you could have given me 12 POUNDS of Jordanian almonds and chocolate-covered raisins.

Instead of the copper tray, you could have given me 3 PANS of hamentashen, and even some Bartenura blue to wash them down.

Instead of the little plastic boxes at 98 cents a piece (lid sold separately), you could have gotten me Viennese crunch and spicy chips and a case of mango.

Let people do what they want. If you dontt like it, dont like it. People can choose what they want to spend the money Hashem has given them. Worry about your own Purim. Im sure all those having a wonderful time preparing their attractive and original MM are not worrying about you worrying about their packaging.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:02 am
OMG.

Why does no one have a sense of humor?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics