Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear grafting surgery

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:25 am
Did anyone ever do this? My daughter is scheduled next week as she has hole in eardrum still from tubes never closed up. I'm really nervous but was told not to push off.
Can anyone reassure me?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:32 am
I've had 2 children have some variation of this surgery (tympanoplasty). Basically they take a bit of cartilage (check with the doctor where it's taken from) to reconstruct the eardrum. What are you nervous about?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:38 am
Just nervous about the whole thing as the dr gave all the risks like ch'v might cause more damage and not help the situation. Seems like pretty invasive surgery. How long was the recovery?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:48 am
It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I do recall that my DD was not allowed to run around/play sports/climb in playground for a few weeks post-surgery (I can't remember how many). Other that I do not recall much pain or anything like that. She was back at school a few days later.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 8:04 am
Did the surgery achieve desired results?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:41 am
Yes, BH!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:46 am
Did it cause any damage?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:01 am
For one of my kids, I believe they took cartilage from behind the ear; she has a scar behind her ear which is not at all visible and nothing else to show she had the surgery. My other DC needed more extensive reconstruction of the eardrum and they had to use a tiny bit of cartilage from the tragus of the ear (look at a picture online to see what it is)--I was a bit surprised as I had not expected that--if you look closely you can see the tragus is slightly misshapen, but I honestly don't think anyone would notice if I didn't tell them. Check with your DD's doctor where they're taking the cartilage from.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:07 am
It's the paper patch surgery and taking skin from behind ear.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:09 am
Iy"H it should all go smoothly and your DD will have no lasting results except an intact eardrum (and a scar behind the ear that nobody will ever see). Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics