Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Don't waste your money on packaging
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:06 am
amother wrote:
Although, and I am being very serious here, there is NO such thing as too much chocolate. Really.)

In advance of the Purim season, why not send everyone on your M"M list a note, telling them this? Honesty is the best policy, isnt it? LOL

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:11 am
Sure.,, give me something delicious on a paper plate with a twist tie baggie covering!

Actually, for some reason... it is a little more appealing if wrapping nicely! Go for it but within reason.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:24 am
Op:
Instead of wasting time writing this
You know what you could have done with your precious seconds?
Folded ten thousand underwear
Windexed five thousand paw prints
Mr cleaned ten sticky residues of unknown origin
Read two bedtime stories to precious kinderlach
Visited three old age homes:
Cheered up clients and disinfected the floors
And wrapped me some chocolates with chintzy paper
what a waste this post of yours....
Frailichen purim!
(Thanks for the chuckle)

Edited: this is also a joke - please dont dissect my words Wink

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:49 am
If OP had to explain later that her post was a joke, it means that it wasn't written in a funny way because no one thought it's a joke till she said that it is....
It actually sounds accusing and bashful when you read it.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:55 am
Just like people can donate old costumes for kids who don't have, why can't they donate the fancy trays that are gathering dust in the basement so that those families can use them for the MM?
Personally I like fancy trays.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:20 am
southernbubby wrote:
Just like people can donate old costumes for kids who don't have, why can't they donate the fancy trays that are gathering dust in the basement so that those families can use them for the MM?

Oh no... I wouldn’t want dust coated, reused boxes for my delicious food...

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:20 am
southernbubby wrote:

Yes! Send me fancy trays: I use them

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:24 am
Now there’s an innovative idea for a gmach for someone with lots of storage space...fancy MM packaging. Why not? There are already gmachs for costumes and fancy simcha servingware.

momof2+?

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:24 am
You can tell there is an element of humor in this post straight from the start -when OP talks about shrink wrapping almonds individually 😄

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:28 am
amother wrote:
If OP had to explain later that her post was a joke, it means that it wasn't written in a funny way because no one thought it's a joke till she said that it is....

Her post was hilarious. The exaggerated packaging details (individually vacuum packed almonds?) as were the loving and lustful descriptions of the chocolate she would prefer made this obvious.

She didn't come on here and obnoxiously or even bluntly tell people to stop with the packaging, she wrote and humorous post with her opinion.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:40 am
Most of the packaging is not as expensive as it looks. Im doing a nicer mm this year than I usually do and it came to 1.20 per person. It looks like much. More

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:46 am
OP, your post is hilarious and I’m totally with you!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:48 am
ectomorph wrote:
Most of the packaging is not as expensive as it looks. Im doing a nicer mm this year than I usually do and it came to 1.20 per person. It looks like much. More

How many items are you shrink wrapping indivudually?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:03 am
Well pardon me and my Type-A personality. I hope it doesn't inconvenience you to receive a beautifully wrapped gift that I worked hard on and planned for the past 4 months. I sincerely apologize if my joy and fulfillment in creating the perfect shalach manos bothers you in any way.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
Well pardon me and my Type-A personality. I hope it doesn't inconvenience you to receive a beautifully wrapped gift that I worked hard on and planned for the past 4 months. I sincerely apologize if my joy and fulfillment in creating the perfect shalach manos bothers you in any way.

The least you could do is put me on your list LOL

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
This.
Though tbh, I carefully salvage as much of the beautiful bags and dishes and boxes and ribbons as possible for reuse down the road. My costume this year will be trimmed with ribbon saved from old MM, my dd who is setting up her first apt is getting a couple of baking and serving pieces that were MM containers a few years ago, and virtually all my MM will be packed in bags or baskets in which we got MM or other gifts in years past. The last time I spent money on packaging for MM was...just about never. Maybe a roll of colored cellophane 30 years ago. I have so much salvaged stuff I could go into business.

I save up the flimsy plastic bags that you get from the drugstore, and use them for my mishloach manot; I write the recipients' names on the outside with a Sharpie. Then I add 1 clementine, precisely 1 Hershey kiss, and a small bottle of tap water.

People tell me how much they love my mishloach manot. Their kids wait for weeks, and fight over the Hershey kiss. And they say my packaging is the most beautiful they've ever seen.

Aylat

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 8:29 am
I enjoyed the post Smile

But (sorry to be serious for a minute here) excessive plastic packaging does bother me from an environmental point of view. Not just MM - many shops completely overdo packaging nowadays.

gamanit

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
I save up the flimsy plastic bags that you get from the drugstore, and use them for my mishloach manot; I write the recipients' names on the outside with a Sharpie. Then I add 1 clementine, precisely 1 Hershey kiss, and a small bottle of tap water.

People tell me how much they love my mishloach manot. Their kids wait for weeks, and fight over the Hershey kiss. And they say my packaging is the most beautiful they've ever seen.

I wanted to like this post until I saw it was in reply to the post that says that she recycles. I find absolutely nothing wrong with reusing containers. We did it one year. We cleaned them well and wrapped everything up beautifully. We actually took a glue gun and applied a fresh trim to each container. It actually took more effort than just buying containers.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:15 am
flowerpower wrote:
How many items are you shrink wrapping indivudually?
nothing. I don't do shrink wrap

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:

No. Some people just dont have a sense of humor and cant detect sarcasm in writing. I see it on this site all the time.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics