Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
United [black person] college fund is it racist?
Previous  1  2

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:07 pm
While I hate affirmative action (as I have mentioned before) this is a totally different story. As fox pointed out, there are scholarships available with all kinds of interesting and specific criteria stipulated by the person funding it. And—thank you, watergirl—why are you okay with Jewish organizations in that case? Or Jewish schools?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
I just heard someone talking about making donations to the United [black person] college fund. How isnt it racist. What if there was colleges called united white college fund.

Do you primarily identify as a "white woman"? That's not really a group, per se, is it. I have "white" skin (actually, it's more like beige) but I identify as a Jew or an American. I think that's pretty typical, I don't think that's an identity, whereas for black women it most definitely is....

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:28 pm
simcha2 wrote:
But that's the point. Why are you ok with looking at girl accomplishments? Surely that's sexist.

Nope, we do both. And guess what? When it comes up, we even (gasp!) discuss the accomplishments of people in the LGBTQ community. It doesn't come up often, but the kids never feel as if the playing field is uneven.

I tell my students that if one looks hard enough, one will always find something to be offended about (not so long ago the trend was to call someone "gay" as an insult, then it evolved to "you must be a Republican" and other such ignorant statements kids will tell each other). The beauty is in boosting their self-confidence so that they are proud of themselves and view offensive people with pity, not vengeance.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:43 pm
Just wanted to say you sound like an amazing teacher, groisamomma

shirabira

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:14 pm
She sure is a great teacher! Smile

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:09 pm
Awww...thanks. I can't change the world but I can try and influence the young ones in my corner Very Happy.

cnc

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:13 pm
grosiamamma -you sound like an amazing educator!

Water Stones

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:20 pm
When I came to live in USA and I saw about United [black person] College Fund, I thought it wasn’t a good think here in America to make a group saying for [black person] only.

But I learned about it like why it got created and I understand now. And I don’t anymore think it’s a bad thing or racist to white people.

Oh and I learned that racist is different from bigot or prejudice. Racist means who has the power against other races, not just how you feel about other races.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
Do you primarily identify as a "white woman"? That's not really a group, per se, is it. I have "white" skin (actually, it's more like beige) but I identify as a Jew or an American. I think that's pretty typical, I don't think that's an identity, whereas for black women it most definitely is....

Interesting point. FWIW it doesn't matter how I identify myself. I see that by others I'm automatically classified in their minds as Jewish first. I see it time and time again. As much as we'd love to delude ourselves into thinking we're just as much a "white woman" as the woman next door, we really aren't viewed that way. At least with the people I work, I know first and foremost they think of me as Jewish. Then white or American or thin or blond or anything else. Many black women feel they can't break out of the stereotype no matter how hard they try because of this perception but I disagree. I'm not talking about those that perpetuate the stereotype, I'm referring to women that feel they are held back because others identify them as black women first. Personally, I think it's something to be proud of. We should be proud of our heritage/race/religion/ethnicity, and its values, while at the same time proud to be an American and make something of ourselves to be able to successfully contribute to society.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:49 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Interesting point. FWIW it doesn't matter how I identify myself. I see that by others I'm automatically classified in their minds as Jewish first. I see it time and time again. As much as we'd love to delude ourselves into thinking we're just as much a "white woman" as the woman next door, we really aren't viewed that way. At least with the people I work, I know first and foremost they think of me as Jewish. Then white or American or thin or blond or anything else. Many black women feel they can't break out of the stereotype no matter how hard they try because of this perception but I disagree. I'm not talking about those that perpetuate the stereotype, I'm referring to women that feel they are held back because others identify them as black women first. Personally, I think it's something to be proud of. We should be proud of our heritage/race/religion/ethnicity, and its values, while at the same time proud to be an American and make something of ourselves to be able to successfully contribute to society.

I’m not sure I understand what you wrote, but it’s my fault if I don’t.

I live in the neighborhood with many black people and I learned that they need to be identify as black first and then American. It’s because they been through so much against them in slavery and even now that my husband and father-in-law hired them to the business and so many customers said some bad things against them for their skin colored. And they are good people.

Is this what you mean? Or opposite? I just want to understand better what you wrote.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics