Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Don't waste your money on packaging
Previous  1  2  3

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
If OP had to explain later that her post was a joke, it means that it wasn't written in a funny way because no one thought it's a joke till she said that it is....
It actually sounds accusing and bashful when you read it.

I knew it was a joke. Do you really think she was demanding 8 bars of chocolate from everyone she knows Scratching Head

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:45 pm
Starting to feel like I should just give out cash to my friends and neighbors so they can get what they like and not judge me for my mishloach manot. Tongue Out

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
Starting to feel like I should just give out cash to my friends and neighbors so they can get what they like and not judge me for my mishloach manot. Tongue Out

Excellent idea! But let's take it to the next step: Use the universal currency of chocolate. To fulfill the mitzvah properly, send at least a kezayis of two types of chocolate (I.e. filled chocolates, chocolate bars, chocolate bark, white chocolate, milk chocolate, etc.).

Then, anyone who is unhappy with her Mishloach Manos can simply barter! I'll start: One chrome-plated bicycle statuette, 1.2 yards of red ribbon, 9 individually shrink-wrapped almonds, and about 2.4 cubic feet of crinkle filler for 7 bars or equivalent of good chocolate. Any takers?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:

I only see this judgy attitude on imamother. I enjoy every MM I get. They're not expensive, but usually very pretty, and the homemade food is delish. The extra junky candy that we can't use gets brought to work and gets eaten by others there. I don't complain that we get too much candy. The whole thing is so fun and every piece is so appreciated! It really does foster good will, like it's supposed to.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:09 pm
where can I get marzipan chickens?!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
Folks, I so appreciate your gorgeous Shalach Manos, with each almond individually shrink-wrapped to coordinate with your theme of Crystal Clear. I am touched at the bottles of pure water, chosen primarily because the label fits so precisely with your handwritten uneven rhyme. I am appropriately impressed at the gummy goats and marzipan chickens for your Purim on the Farm.

I am blown away by the precision-cut boxes that hold your chocolates in a perfect tower, at the elegant copper tray holding four hamentashen (chocolate-dipped) in lone splendor, and at the custom-printed gift bags holding an array of candy canes and aged liquor for your Zaidy theme.

BUT:

Instead of spending $17.99 on the tray and $14 on the ribbon and filler, YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT ME EIGHT BARS OF GOOD-QUALITY CHOCOLATE.

Instead of spending $110 on the shrink-wrap machine, you could have given me 12 POUNDS of Jordanian almonds and chocolate-covered raisins.

Instead of the copper tray, you could have given me 3 PANS of hamentashen, and even some Bartenura blue to wash them down.

Instead of the little plastic boxes at 98 cents a piece (lid sold separately), you could have gotten me Viennese crunch and spicy chips and a case of mango.

(Despite any appearances to the contrary, this post is NOT tongue-in-cheek. My tongue is hanging out of my mouth and I am salivating as I type.)

Remember that after Purim is done and gone, the trays will gather dust in my basement... but those pounds and loving memories of lip-licking will remain with me forever.
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter came back to read this again ! just love it! so well writeen (excuse my typos) keyboard is in a mood & backspace doesn't work)

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:30 pm
amother wrote:
where can I get marzipan chickens?!

Well, actually I thought I had invented them, but Google cavalierly informed me that they are nothing new. I found links to buy them, and even instructions to make my own.

Alas, I did not find any source for gummy goats. **Possible business idea!**

**Oh! Another business idea! Send me a sample of your Shalach Manos, and I will write a critical review for my new blog - "Inside the Basket."**

(On a more serious note, the only thing I find odd is when packaging choices involve expensive items of greatly subjective decorative use (like chrome-plated bicycle statuettes), or a plethora of disposable containers whose worth greatly exceeds the value of the items contained therein. Either way, I admire well-packaged Shalach Manos - even copper trays - and appreciate so much the variety and feelings behind them. I hope you feel the same about my artful lunch bags and dollar store favor containers!)

For further thought: Is there a way to make it clear that something is a joke, without explicitly stating it?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
Well, actually I thought I had invented them, but Google cavalierly informed me that they are nothing new. I found links to buy them, and even instructions to make my own.

Alas, I did not find any source for gummy goats. **Possible business idea!**

**Oh! Another business idea! Send me a sample of your Shalach Manos, and I will write a critical review for my new blog - "Inside the Basket."**

(On a more serious note, the only thing I find odd is when packaging choices involve expensive items of greatly subjective decorative use (like chrome-plated bicycle statuettes), or a plethora of disposable containers whose worth greatly exceeds the value of the items contained therein. Either way, I admire well-packaged Shalach Manos - even copper trays - and appreciate so much the variety and feelings behind them. I hope you feel the same about my artful lunch bags and dollar store favor containers!)

For further thought: Is there a way to make it clear that something is a joke, without explicitly stating it?

Can we be business partners? I'm not so talented as you to write the reviews but I'll be the laughing machine Wink
re bolded: People should just put their humor glasses on. that simple.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:59 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If you want chocolate then have your dh become a rebbe. Apparently parents give chocolate to their childs rebbe over their fancy homemade mishloach manos.

This. First year I was teaching I got 14 huge gift boxes of chocolate. Couldn't eat them fast enough till pesach.

gilamom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:04 pm
HUSH WOMAN!

Do not go advising people to waste precious space in the basket on raisins, not even the so called 'chocolate' covered ones. I want my chocolate straight up, milk preferably but can do a good quality dark, will compromise with some fillings but. Absolutely. No. Raisins.

I'm with you btw, I saw the cutest clear plastic boxes for $4.99 each and then got sad thinking about all the chocolate bars that could be given for that price and wrapped in cheap dollar store tissue paper instead.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:06 pm
gilamom wrote:
HUSH WOMAN!

Do not go advising people to waste precious space in the basket on raisins, not even the so called 'chocolate' covered ones. I want my chocolate straight up, milk preferably but can do a good quality dark, will compromise with some fillings but. Absolutely. No. Raisins.

I'm with you btw, I saw the cutest clear plastic boxes for $4.99 each and then got sad thinking about all the chocolate bars that could be given for that price and wrapped in cheap dollar store tissue paper instead.

I'll have some with nougat please. and cashew clusters pretty please!
(& I love my amother color Smile its so in the purim spirit)

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:10 pm
Amother mauve, since you're so talented can you come help me out here to write some words? https://www.imamother.com/foru.....57589
we've got threads & threads on purim poems for every type of theme, where did all those poets disappear to?

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:23 pm
So can't spend on packaging so no exterior. Can't spend on homemade goods so no interior. No gifts because of policy if you are allowed to accept or not. No taking tips/money because if it is mutar to take bribery in middle of year or not. No alcohol, maybe it will reach an underage or drunken husband that's already embarrassing his wife. No nuts because of allergy. No candy because it's junk. No cellaphone because of environment. No cake because it will ruin my diet. No perishables because I'll give it to the cats running outside because don't know how long ago you left it at my door. No repackaged because of germs. No unlabeled because of kashrus. Nothing fancy because I might be jealous on your money.

So what is left to give? Nothing, maybe air....
I can blow you a kiss in the air if you want that or a balloon that I blew up a week earlier that's deflated by now

boysrus

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:43 pm
dankbar wrote:
This. First year I was teaching I got 14 huge gift boxes of chocolate. Couldn't eat them fast enough till pesach.

and thats why I always give only kosher for Pesach chocolate and wine or grape juice to my kids rebbeim and teachers! then they can put it away for yomtov and it will help them save on pesach expenses too...

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 12:42 am
The best line was-
this post is NOT tongue-in-cheek. My tongue is hanging out of my mouth and I am salivating as I type.

I think people didn't get the joke because they skimmed it and didn't read it carefully.

OP-- adorable!!!

EishesYo

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:40 am
ectomorph wrote:
Most of the packaging is not as expensive as it looks. Im doing a nicer mm this year than I usually do and it came to 1.20 per person. It looks like much. More

I cant wait to see! and save the idea for us for next year!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 9:42 am
EishesYo wrote:
I cant wait to see! and save the idea for us for next year!
pm me how you know me and I'll send you a preview!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics