Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Don’t waste homemade food for Shalach Manos
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:15 am
I agree with the OP of the packaging thread. Good chocolate is the way to go. Lots of it is KLP too. You can pack it in advance, it doesn't go bad, and most people like it. Its even healthy!

I always give 2 large items rather then multiple small things which tend to get wasted. What do I do with a can of drink that no one in my family likes? I can't even put it out at a shabbos meal.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:36 am
abaker wrote:
I dont think its necessarily just a MO thing. If everyone in the yishuv is holding by a similar level of observance then of course they all eat each others food. But where I live the majority of our community isn't frum. The few orthodox families have an obviously much different standard than everyone else, so there's no way we could eat homemade mm from everyone.
As I wrote above, I grew up in the USA in a MO community and there was no "we dont eat at their house, they dont eat at so and so's house", everyone ate at everyone's home. Thats why I was saying that this is specifically NOT a yishuv thing.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:52 pm
I love getting homemade. However I do not think people should regift homemade items and put their own label on it. The receiver will have no idea who actually made it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:57 pm
I throw away hundreds of zazas with those shiny wrappers, every year. Please, everybody save your money and don't send those to anybody.
What I'm trying to say is, you never know what somebody will or will not throw away so just send what you like and don't over think it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:49 pm
I said earlier that I love getting homemade food, but I would never regift someone's homemade food and send it to someone else. I would hope that no one would do that as a matter of principle. That's just wrong.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
I said earlier that I love getting homemade food, but I would never regift someone's homemade food and send it to someone else. I would hope that no one would do that as a matter of principle. That's just wrong.

If I know someone else will eat it, why not? How is regifting different than giving to a cleaning lady or organization? Would you rather I throw it out? (For the record, I generally don’t regift anything except nosh and drinks)

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:24 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
If I know someone else will eat it, why not? How is regifting different than giving to a cleaning lady or organization? Would you rather I throw it out? (For the record, I generally don’t regift anything except nosh and drinks)

Ema of 4 wrote:
You misunderstood. I give extra nosh to my cleaning lady, because my friends don’t want it before pesach. I happen to know schools that DO end up throwing away. I don’t want to overload anyone else’s kid with junk anymore than I want to overload my own. Homemade food will either go to being regifted, given to friends (I have specific friends I ask) or to organizations.

I am even more confused.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:16 am
Squishy wrote:
I am even more confused.

Not sure what you’re confused about. Occasionally I will regift, but generally I only do that with nosh and drinks.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
I throw away hundreds of zazas with those shiny wrappers, every year. Please, everybody save your money and don't send those to anybody.
What I'm trying to say is, you never know what somebody will or will not throw away so just send what you like and don't over think it.
I'll take them
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics