Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Work dilemma

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:42 am
A group in my department is giving a presentation next week to the top brass and it is important for the department that the presentation go well. The person in charge of the data analysis is struggling and I was asked to pitch in and give him some guidance. I get paid by the hour and can't bill at a normal rate for this work so it is basically volunteer work. I don't mind helping and giving my time and expertise when the people I'm working with are making an effort but this guy doesn't seem to be.

For example, we discussed the steps that needed to be done to prepare the data for the analysis. Only the most basic of them were completed. When I asked what step he was up to he didn't even remember what needed to be done and it became clear he had not taken any notes during our discussion. This happened after the second meeting even after I explicitly told him to take note of what I was saying. He is a smart guy, this is not a matter of asking too much of someone. I have a feeling this job is just a stepping stone for him and he is not giving it his all.

So my question is, do I say something to him? He is a young frum guy. I'm not sure my constructive criticism would be appreciated and I'm not sure how to deliver it. Should I say something to his supervisor or mine? I don't want to badmouth him for no reason and I'm concerned about LH.

Also, the whole process is pretty time consuming and if I would just do all the work it would probably save me a lot of time. It would mildly annoying to have someone else's name on my work but my time is too precious to waste.

What do y'all think?

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 11:31 am
Definitely dont do the work for him.

Also, unless it will make you look bad, scale back on helping him until he makes an effort. Its him who will be in trouble if his part of the presentation fails.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 11:36 am
No, I would not badmouth a coworker.
I don’t understand what the dilemma is.
You said you are getting paid by the hour, so how is this volunteer work?
I’m sure your supervisor is aware of the work you are doing behind the scenes even if your name is not on the presentation.
It will also look good on your resume, or it can be a positive addition to present to HR when asking for a raise.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
A group in my department is giving a presentation next week to the top brass and it is important for the department that the presentation go well. The person in charge of the data analysis is struggling and I was asked to pitch in and give him some guidance. I get paid by the hour and can't bill at a normal rate for this work so it is basically volunteer work. I don't mind helping and giving my time and expertise when the people I'm working with are making an effort but this guy doesn't seem to be.

For example, we discussed the steps that needed to be done to prepare the data for the analysis. Only the most basic of them were completed. When I asked what step he was up to he didn't even remember what needed to be done and it became clear he had not taken any notes during our discussion. This happened after the second meeting even after I explicitly told him to take note of what I was saying. He is a smart guy, this is not a matter of asking too much of someone. I have a feeling this job is just a stepping stone for him and he is not giving it his all.

So my question is, do I say something to him? He is a young frum guy. I'm not sure my constructive criticism would be appreciated and I'm not sure how to deliver it. Should I say something to his supervisor or mine? I don't want to badmouth him for no reason and I'm concerned about LH.

Also, the whole process is pretty time consuming and if I would just do all the work it would probably save me a lot of time. It would mildly annoying to have someone else's name on my work but my time is too precious to waste.

What do y'all think?

I wouldn't go over his head and speak to supervisors. I would tell him exactly what you wrote here, in a nice explanatory tone (and not in attack or complaining mode). If he doesn't appreciate your constructive criticism or expects you to do the work for him, that's his problem and not yours. He is in the adult world, and he needs to learn how to swim in it. If he doesn't take stock of advice given or doesn't want to give his all towards a job, then he'll have to learn by the consequences.

If you do the work for him now, he'll just repeat the behavior later. Imo, letting someone deal with consequences of their own actions is the best way to teach someone.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 11:55 am
amother wrote:

You said you are getting paid by the hour, so how is this volunteer work?

I can't charge my usual hourly rate, I can charge only a bare minumum rate which after taxes is less than my nanny makes.

amother wrote:

I’m sure your supervisor is aware of the work you are doing behind the scenes even if your name is not on the presentation.

Not really, it is another group in the department so she is not involved in the details and won't know how much I put into it unless I explicitly tell her. The work is being done on my own time, not during regular work hours.

amother wrote:

It will also look good on your resume, or it can be a positive addition to present to HR when asking for a raise.

Possibly but I certainly wouldn't do it for this reason. I'm only doing it because I was asked and because I want our department to look good. That's also the reason I don't want to just let him flop or miss the deadline. If he does it will be bad for the department and I will look either incompetant or unhelpful because I let it happen.

forgetit

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:00 pm
I would talk to him, but if that doesn't work, explain to whomever asked you to take on this 'volunteer work' exactly what is going on. I wouldnt want his lack of effort to reflect badly
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics